• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

chasing a vibration

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have been chasing a vibration in Ol Blue. It occurs between 50-55 mph in both 4th and 5th gear. Tires have been balanced and rebalanced. I even switched to a spare set of tires - no change, same vibration. U joints are tight and lubricated. Steering wheel does not exhibit any vibration so my assumption is the issue is not related to front tires or front end. Recently installed a new rear wheel bearing on passenger side but I do not see how that could cause any vibration. A head scratcher.

The car is certainly driveable at speeds under 50 and over 55 as the vibration does not happen at those speeds.

thoughts?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Chasing a vibration can be difficult and frustrating.

The only things that turn the same RPM in BOTH 4th and 5th gear at 50-55 MPH are the driveshaft and the rear axle parts. At 50-55 MPH, your driveshaft is turning about 2,270-2,500 RPM, so balance and straightness are important. The rear axle parts are only turning about one-fourth of the driveshaft RPM and are less likely to be the problem.

Most driveshafts are (or should be) balanced with one or more weights that are typically spot-welded to the main tube and sometimes get detached. Another possibility is a "loose" transmission tail shaft or rear-end pinion bearing that allows unwanted driveshaft "wobble". A good driveshaft shop can check the driveshaft for balance and "straightness".

Putting the car on jack stands and "running" 50-55 MPH in both 4th and 5th gear might reveal the source of the vibration. You may need to "load" the driveline by applying the rear brakes to replicate highway conditions.

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry has some good suggestions.You mentioned that your u-joints were tight and greased.I would check them to see if one is not seized or binding.
Did you have the vibration before replacing the rear wheel bearing?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry has some good suggestions.You mentioned that your u-joints were tight and greased.I would check them to see if one is not seized or binding.
Did you have the vibration before replacing the rear wheel bearing?
not that I remember so, no

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you didn't have the vibration before I would jack up the rear end and with jack stands check the left rear axle for excess play.Then with the engine running and in gear watch the spinning left rear wheel and tire for any wobble.If it isn't true it could only be the axle(unlikely) or hub or wheel(unlikely).Like Barry says vibrations can be difficult to diagnose.I have found over the years that it helps to have a friend(or brother) over to help or just be there to talk to. Good Luck with that

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I would lean towards U joint or Transmission bearing depending on how many miles and how long it has been sitting.