• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Charles Johns

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Saw that your area got hit pretty hard by Ms. Weather. How did you do? I was freezing my butt off in Wisconsin with no 'puter, but immediately thought of you.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Trying to watch/help Brad Babb race his #53 car. Geez it was nasty, low 40's, windy and foggy with rain. We were prepared for 50's-60's and rain. Friday morning, I shivered for 4 hours, got so weak I could barely step into the golf cart. The weather, combined with the horrible roads along the way (so bad the dash clock broke at 4:20 P.M. Thursday) makes me feel lucky I can't remember anything.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
SOunds like you are trying to catch a cold? Hope you and Barb are well!

How did Brad do, if the race got underway? Haven't heard anything?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We survived in good shape, once we warmed up and our eyeballs settled down from all the rough roads. I'm going to have to re-evaluate this long trip thing. Roads here (not just Indiana) are in terrible shape. There's not much fun in hitting a stretch of road that leaves you glad you are not off the road or completely in the wrong lane. Barb said maybe I should get a trailer. I said no. We will drive to the United in August and will make a final decision when that is over. The idea behind this car was something to make long trips in, with the expectation that if I made it to 80 (or so) the fun would probably have to stop. Here I am at 76 and the fun is dwindling at an alarming rate, mostly due to the long term neglect of our highways. Nothing I can do about that, so...

Brad was able to get in all of his races. I think Brad would say that while he had a podium finish, he was pretty disappointed after all the head work he had done over the winter. Big valves and 12:1 compression left him down a second or so on lap times. While the track (or tires) never really got warmed up, on a long, high speed track like Road America he should have done better.

I am glad we made the trip, Road America is something every sports car guy should visit. Brad and Michelle were great hosts. Paul A (Pete) was there, it was a fine get together of good friends.

Wonder where Chuck is.

Bill

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill-Wisconsin May's can be a roller coaster of temperatures 40's one day to near 80's the next. Plus you have to contend with the easterly wind off Lake Michigan which is about a constant 40 deg cooling RA. Roads (Certain ones) do take a beating during the winter. SAAC had there national meet @RA mid-May it was a very good event but cold(with frost in the morning). Couldn't understand why they planned it so early. The joys of living in eastern Wisconsin.
Road America is a great track to visit. Hope to get up there for other vintage races this year(with much warmer weather) and schedule permitting.
Al

65beam

Donation Time
Bill-Wisconsin May's can be a roller coaster of temperatures 40's one day to near 80's the next. Plus you have to contend with the easterly wind off Lake Michigan which is about a constant 40 deg cooling RA. Roads (Certain ones) do take a beating during the winter. SAAC had there national meet @RA mid-May it was a very good event but cold(with frost in the morning). Couldn't understand why they planned it so early. The joys of living in eastern Wisconsin.
Road America is a great track to visit. Hope to get up there for other vintage races this year(with much warmer weather) and schedule permitting.
Al
Al,
Schedule? You're both retired!

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Al

I lived near Road America/Elkhart Lake for about 25 years. While the wind off Lake Michigan has some real impact on the city of Sheboygan and other lakeside cities/town/villages there is really no Lake Michigan effect at Road America. It was just miserable May weather.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Lake Michigan effect is about 15 miles inland for us I-94 being the boundary.
Bob- Being retired I found out that my (our)schedule filled up rather quickly.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
The Lake Michigan effect is about 15 miles inland for us I-94 being the boundary.
Bob- Being retired I found out that my (our)schedule filled up rather quickly.

Elkhart Lake is over 20 miles from Lake Michigan There really is little, if any, effect from the big lake out that far. If you live two blocks from the lake like my in-laws do there is a noticeable effect......but not at RA.......just sayin'