• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

changing transmission and overdrive oil

venice532

Donation Time
Hi all, I have a series 5 with overdrive and I want to change the oil in the trans and overdrive. After reading up on it I understand that it's best to use 30w non detergent.

I can see on the underside of the overdrive there is a plug marked 'drain' and of course the trans has it's drain plug and fill plug about half way up the case.

What I don't see is a fill location for the overdrive unit itself. Does filling the trans up to the spill point also fill the overdrive unit too or am I missing something?

I've tried a hundred different ways to search the forum but it always says I'm using the wrong search terms.

Thanks in advance.

Bob J.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The gearbox oil is shared with the overdrive unit. Just the one fill hole on the right side, accessible by removing the rubber plug in the gearbox tunnel. Series V owner's manual lists 5.4 US pints for the gearbox + overdrive.

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor

venice532

Donation Time
search

Thanks for that technique Mike, I knew that someone must have asked that same question here at some point.

Bob