• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

change from positive ground to negative

bbonner

Donation Time
anyone done this to their sunbeam alpine. Change the car from positive to negative ground. Is there anything other than the amp gauge that you have to consider. I know the battery but wondering if there is something else.

coupe

Donation Time
Yes search the forum, the electric tach. Will have to be worked on also, that should do it.
Coupe

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bev, You'll need to re-polarize your generator or switch to an Alternator:

http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/techtips/altconv.html

And you'll need to convert your tach to Neg earth (assuming it is an electronic tach (Later than S1 or S2).

And if you have a radio you'll need to replace it - possible to convert but not easy.

If you have a Pertronix or other electronic ignition, you'll need to change that.

Everything else should be OK- Starter, Wiper, Blower,horns, OD, lights (assuming you have not converted to LED lights)

You can even leave the Ammeter as is, just note that needle in "+" means "discharging".

Tom

bbonner

Donation Time
thanks what happens if my tach hasn't been working when it is positive do we still have to change anything when we change to negative ground???? Just asking.

bbonner

Donation Time
when you say change the Pertronix or other electronic ignition do you mean the whole thing or can we just change the ignitor inside the electronic distributor

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's another useful link:

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/classic-cars/sunbeam-alpine/negative-earth.html

It notes to swap the leads on the coil - good idea

And it also notes to swap the wires on the cigar lighter. Hmmmm. Had not thought of that. No need to do so for use as cigar lighter, but most uses today are for plugging in a GPS, phone charger, etc. And for that I think it MAY require a change, but that needs some investigation. Near as I can tell, the original wiring on Pos earth Alpines (SI thru SIV) have Pos on the shell (i.e. GND) which would make them not work for just about any modern accessory. So changing car polarity would solve that- UNLESS someone had previously swapped the wires on their Pos Earth car to work with modern accessories.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
thanks what happens if my tach hasn't been working when it is positive do we still have to change anything when we change to negative ground???? Just asking.

If it has not been working there may be some simple, fixable problem. If you run it with reversed polarity you will likely cause more damage.

when you say change the Pertronix or other electronic ignition do you mean the whole thing or can we just change the ignitor inside the electronic distributor

The only Pertronix part IS the Ignitor inside the distributor. If you purchased and installed a complete Pertronix distributor I am 95% sure all you need to change is the Ignitor - Other can confirm.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bev, re tach not working - what have you done to see why it does not work?

When did it last work?
Does the lamp in it work ? (tells me that it is properly grounded) .
Is the power wire ( white wire with spade lug) connected and has 12 V on it?
Have you looked closely at the other white wire that loops thru the little plastic piece on the rear of the tach?

Tom

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Here's another useful link:

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/classic-cars/sunbeam-alpine/negative-earth.html

It notes to swap the leads on the coil - good idea

And it also notes to swap the wires on the cigar lighter. Hmmmm. Had not thought of that. No need to do so for use as cigar lighter, but most uses today are for plugging in a GPS, phone charger, etc. And for that I think it MAY require a change, but that needs some investigation. Near as I can tell, the original wiring on Pos earth Alpines (SI thru SIV) have Pos on the shell (i.e. GND) which would make them not work for just about any modern accessory. So changing car polarity would solve that- UNLESS someone had previously swapped the wires on their Pos Earth car to work with modern accessories.

Tom

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
My series 2 '61 Alpine is still set up with a positive ground, and I just recently installed a new generator, and everything is fine.
The cigarette lighter heats up and pops out but does not get red hot, so I know it works, and I measure a voltage of 12.9 and above.

If I want to use it to charge my phone or a GPS, could I simply reverse the wires on the lighter, or could this cause other problems. The other option that I'm considering is to wire a charger directly to the battery, taking the positive ground into consideration.

Any input would be appreciated.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
I have chatted with Technical Support at Delran. They suggest using one of their female cigarette charger accessories which connects directly to the battery, red to the positive post and black to the negative post, and I can charge my phone and or GPS. Any thoughts?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have chatted with Technical Support at Delran. They suggest using one of their female cigarette charger accessories which connects directly to the battery, red to the positive post and black to the negative post, and I can charge my phone and or GPS. Any thoughts?

Bernard,

This should be OK as long as all exposed surfaces on the "Delran female cigarette charger gizmo" and all exposed surfaces on anything that is plugged into it are "floating" (not electrically connected to either positive or negative).

If an exposed surface that is electrically connected to the negative battery terminal touches positive ground metal anywhere on your car, you will have a direct short. In order to provide protection, I suggest starting with a 10 amp fuse in the wire to the negative battery terminal and then reducing the fuse amperage rating to the smallest value that does not blow in normal use.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Barry,
I purchased a charger/voltmeter and installed it in a small wooden box inside the front of the armrest.
It was wired as per your suggestion, with a 7.5 amp fuse, using insulators and taking all the precautions to prevent a short circuit.
The results are very good, giving me a voltage reading and a way to charge two instruments, which is "hidden" under the armrest cover.
I did take a few pictures, but would have to learn to paste them to my comments.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry,
I purchased a charger/voltmeter and installed it in a small wooden box inside the front of the armrest.
It was wired as per your suggestion, with a 7.5 amp fuse, using insulators and taking all the precautions to prevent a short circuit.
The results are very good, giving me a voltage reading and a way to charge two instruments, which is "hidden" under the armrest cover.
I did take a few pictures, but would have to learn to paste them to my comments.

Bernard,

Glad to hear that it worked as desired and you can charge a phone or GPS.

As for trouble pasting pictures, welcome to the club. I can usually figure out the process with some trial and error, but it is neither clear nor intuitive.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Here are two photos of the installed voltmeter/charger safely tucked in the armrest.

Attachments

• 20190701_095446.jpg
    20190701_095446.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190701_095607.jpg
    20190701_095607.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 23