• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Caster shims

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
From time to time, I machine some specialty bits for my Tiger, and now am thinking to make some front crossmember caster shims - these also fit the Alpine Series 1-5

These shims set the stock caster angle at 3.84 degrees, but unfortunately the casting grade aluminium alloy is subject to corrosion, and more than once have turned to mush when I have dropped the crossmember. My thought is to use marine grade 5083 aluminium to minimize corrosion

I am not the first to think about optimizing caster angle, and it is a simple matter to make these at 5 degrees of caster by increasing the pad thickness at the rear mounting bolt.
While increasing steering effort, more caster is a bit better for modern tires on such a short wheelbase car.

Note that with wide tires + more caster, there may be interference with the bottom edge of the front valance, but this has been trimmed off on most Tigers at least decades ago.

Any interest from the Alpine community?

Comments on more caster?

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would be interested in a set for my Tiger. I suppose the more you can make at one time the less the cost would be per unit.

Rick

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I would be interested in a set for my Tiger. I suppose the more you can make at one time the less the cost would be per unit.

Rick

Exactly - once it is set up on the mill, the more the merrier

Any comment on stock vs 5 degrees?
Modern tires typically have more than the stock caster, and it would seem a good thing to have on a short wheelbase car when it gets sideways. I know a couple of Tiger owners with 5 degree shims and aside from the increase in turning effort, they are happy with the increase
OTOH, a well respected Tiger guru told me to leave it stock

Last edited: