• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Caster Question

George Farrell

Donation Time
Guys,

When I had my Series V aligned last fall, the tech said he could not get the caster setting to spec on the right side. There is no obvious damage to any of the front suspension. Any theories on what could cause the problem and how it could be corrected?

Thanks,

George Farrell

skywords

Donation Time
Make sure the tapered shims are install between the frame and the cross member. They would only be missing if someone removed them during a restoration. It is the only factor I can think of that would cause the castor to be out other than a wreck and bent parts. I speak only from experience with early series cars. I am not a front end expert by any means. Be sure your mechanic is using the gap gauges to check this and is following the manual to the tee. I had the front end aligned by the British Guru here in Tucson and after reading the manual on the proper procedure I found he was using stone knives and bear skins and not the recomended gauges. The manual gives dimensions and drawings on fabricating these. I doubt seriously that any shops at all have the tooling to do a full alignment check on these cars by the book. My Guru left the upper wishbone bolts loose on my car and I did not discover it until I had the car on stands doing a lube and inspection. So beware! Read the manual and understand the procedure yourself before you take it to a shop and ask lots of questions as to why and how, hey where are the gap guages!

Rick

Nickodell

Donation Time
George: Are you sure he was not talking Camber angle - 3/4 to 1/4 degree positive? Caster angle is factory set and not adjustable. If it is out of whack there must have been front-end damage, probably by the wheel hitting an obstruction. Out of specs. caster angle will usually make the steering squirrely and uncertain.