• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Casco lighter

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Before I stick this thing up for sale I thought I would tell you that I thought it came out of a early Alpine here's the picture of it I'd appreciate your all knowing comments. IMG_20200226_144319_01.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not a sunbeam part.. Looks like a usa spec car. Early alpines had the smiths lighter with a black knob with a round recess on top

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Most likely an after market, or other brand ( kinda looks like a mid 60s Impala). Original cigar lighters matched the windshield washer button, black knob as Micheal said.

65beam

Donation Time
This shows the lighter knobs I have100_0565.JPG 110_0665.JPG in our Alpines and one of the Harringtons. The photo of the Harrington was taken before the car was finished.You may have to zoom in. The other two Harringtons both had lighters with a small chrome knob.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know what the right one also found on E type Jaguars look like . I'm fully capable of cobbling together a shortened washer pump knob. This picture is a copy from a fellow members Blackdog . I have you seem different iterations of the lighter but they all seem to have the same similar style reverse chromed or stainless steel escutcheon between the knob and the base of the lighter element. If you compare the washer knob to the to the original cigar lighter it's close but no cigar...user5297_pic442_1424886571.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks junk man I've looked at the Impalas and a lot of 50s cars trying to figure out what it came from, I've also got this really cool gas cap that came off of something, from the vented cap era of cars, It's like when I was digging through the trash can at a tiger restores place and I found a clock. I went home and searched for about 30 minutes till I found out it was the same clock used in a Pantera wahoo...
I admit only that I no speak early Alpine's :)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Awesome replies guys ... We had to reverse engineer the AC air filter housing as RACT and those who placed themselves as a go between were reluctant about sharing the drawing.
It may be hard to get that speckled Bakelite look through ;)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Note - I have updated the drawings to increase the precision. I had my dimensional settings to only two decimal places (.00") not three (.001") which is required under the circumstances. Fixed now. Links above go to the new drawings.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
On the knob drawing, I must admit I could not determine the thread of the knob and stud, so I left the stud out and made the thread 6mm x 1.0 as a first cut. Can anyone tell me what the correct thread is for the lighter cartridge?

How does the unit disassemble to check the thread?

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you. Yeah, I got that measurement, but it didn’t translate into a BSF/BA/NC/NF/Metric tap size as far as I could determine. I tried a 12-28 tap and a die and neither one fit. It’s also close to a 6.0x1.0M but not close enough. If you look closely at your thread gauge it’s not *quite* 28 tpi... the threads bind on the gauge a bit.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Also, mine has a stepped section on the shank between where the threads end and where it goes into the knob. Yours does not appear to have the same setup.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The gauge seems aligned to me. Hard to get everything aligned to take a photo.

The knob has some wiggle in it when threading it into place. The threads don't seem like a tight fit.

Maybe I don't have an original piece.

Mike

upload_2020-2-29_15-8-15.png

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for posting the comparison shot Warren,

Yes, this is how you can tell when unscrupulous people put a washer knob on a genric casco chrome colar base and then pass them off on ebay etc.

Some exceptionally dishonest people have done this then listed them as original based deliberately misleading people with the implication its an original sunbeam lighter

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Funny, which reminds me of an old geezer story. " Why I remember when we were so poor we had to take a huffy bicycle and put Schwinn Stin-ray handlebars and a banana seat on it." The Pearson's solo Polo or the wide butterfly bars was our reasonable facsimile.