• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carpathian Elm Dash Veneer?

65beam

Donation Time
veneer

matt,
series 5 GT's were never in the sales line up here in the united states!!! if you wanted one you went to another country to buy it and had it imported.

65beam

Donation Time
veneer

the subject of the raised bezel areas on plastic dashes came up around post #16. I clarified what was done to the early dash to add the veneer. I made the statement because I believe I own more harringtons than anyone in this part of the world so I do have something for reference.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I knew you would go back and edit what you said !

There is no editing ... i have made it clear on many occasions in many threads.. perhaps if you read a little more carefully bob... then again we know why you post on these threads... :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
veneer

paul,
have you come up with enough veneer of the Carpathian elm to do several dashes? I spend five days a week around automotive and truck repair shops in three states and don't have time to get around to shops that do wood. is it readily available? it looks good.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I had the opportunity this past weekend to take a close look at our pre-production SV's dash board.
It appears to be a standard SV GT dash being a thin wood veneer (+/-1/32") applied over a bakelite base.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
veneer

rich,
the interesting thing about the dash I have is that if it is a veneer it looks to be so thin that it appears to be heat shrunk over the top of the dash. it covers the maybe 1/2 inch area that is on top that is never seen when the dash is installed. this is the area that goes up under the metal and the cardboard covers the area between the dash and crash pad. I don't see any areas where it is folded over the top. it's not that way at the bottom where the waist roll sets.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rootes66,

Including B9400766...................................................

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Dan
There's a problem with your Chassis Number, missing a digit If its a true B940..... Ply base. B941..... Plastic

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Tag has the following:

CHASSIS
& ENGINE B 9400766 GT BW LRX

Colour
Code 39

WITH: SAL 375145

And it has the plywood (Elm ? eight (8) ply Dash that had the Carpathian elm verneer finish like pictured at the beginning of this POST.

If Iam missing a digit there are at least 111 other Sunbeams listed that have the same error by missing a digit. That is if I understand you correctly?

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gitnrusty,

Do you have a PIC of your dash that I could see?

If so, E-mail.

Thanks,

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gitnrusty, I should have asked if "your tag" was embedded with the numbers you posted.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
carpathian dash

Gitnrusty, I should have asked if "your tag" was embedded with the numbers you posted
The numbers are stamped into the aluminum tag by the hood latch.
Sorry, no photos or E mail. The car is now at repair shop getting some floorboard work.
I'll be working on third motor mount design after Christmas!