• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carburettor Spacer Plates

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

As I now have a carby and manifold for my Tiger, I am now looking for all the miscellaneous bits for the installation. On the existing two barrel setup, there is a spacer under the carburettor which has vacuum and water ports in it. Are the spacers required on new style manifolds or are they only something seen on older type manifolds to assist flow?

Thank you, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
I fitted a one inch phenolic spacer to help reduce heat soaking into the carb from the engine/manifold. I also needed th espacer to enable the carb mechanism to clear the manifold (your manifold may not need it). I didnt see the point of retaining the coolant connections so I have discarded/rerouted the hoses.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
On the 289s I believe the port on the rear of the spacer was for the PCV valve if it didn't use a draft tube.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think I might wait until I have received the intake manifold to see whether the linkage will be OK. As an option for the heat soak, I was looking at the Holley heat shield kit (not sure if it will effect anything else though). Either way, I think I will definately need some sort of spacer.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
I fitted a one inch phenolic spacer to help reduce heat soaking into the carb from the engine/manifold. I also needed th espacer to enable the carb mechanism to clear the manifold (your manifold may not need it). I didnt see the point of retaining the coolant connections so I have discarded/rerouted the hoses.

Hi Chris,

With the 1" spacer and your Holley carburettor, what air cleaner assembly are you running with? How much space do you have between the bonnet and the top of the air cleaner?

Thank you, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Robin
I am using the stock air cleaner, and the old spacer was about one inch, so the clearance is probably much the same as before.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

For those running the black phenolic heat spacers under their carburettor, is there a port drilled/tapped into them for the crankcase ventilation? My new manifold only has the port for the brake booster.

Thank you, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Mine is just a plain spacer. I made a tee piece adapter so I could connect the PCV valve and the brake booster.

My manifold looks a lot lower than yours. I just wonder if you will be able to fit under the bonnet with a 1 inch spacer?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Chris & George,

My manifold is a low-rise type going by the Weiand site (3.82" front, 4.50" rear height). The LAT option F4B manifold was a high-rise manifold. I may have to do the same as you did with your setup Chris. If I had stuck with the Edelbrock manifold, it has two manifold vacuum ports. I was also going to use a 1/2" phenolic spacer, not a 1" as per the original setup. I may have to go back to the original air cleaner as well.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,
Just to add to my previous reply, I checked my existing two barrel setup with the 'Tiger' air cleaner (not stock AC unit) and I have approximately 14mm at the front of the air cleaner and at least 20mm at the back. I also had a look at the high-rise manifolds from Weiand and they are just over 1/2" higher than my manifold.

Regards, Robin.