• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car repair Physics

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's absolutely true, but it's not Physics. That's a corollary of Murphy's Law, which applies to all aspects of human endeavors.

Tom

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The budget part of that Law is a toughie to get around. With something like a set of flywheel bolts setting you back over fifty bucks, it is best to immediately throw away receipts and develop. amnesia. "Flywheel bolts, surely I bought some, but I don't recall that transaction at all".

The second part is very easy. Say the project will be done by "Thursday". Don't specify which Thursday. Or January, just don't say which year.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
When it comes to Sunbeam parts I'm sure you've heard my wife say things like" If we need it, buy it" or "if you want it, buy it". It took me 26 1/2 years to train her to think that way. Then I married her. That was 13 years ago. She also asks that I file the receipt in the file for each car. Just be patient. It takes time and a lot of effort.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Drop light, you'll used a standard household bulb and it'll take a slightest bump after you get under car and go out. Then you'll go to Home Depot and look for the 6 dollar vinyl coated rough service bulb only to find it's not sold there anymore : (

65beam

Donation Time
Warren,
Many of us use the bulbs intended for use in ceiling fans. They hold up much better . Well worth the slightly more initial cost.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
When it comes to Sunbeam parts I'm sure you've heard my wife say things like" If we need it, buy it" or "if you want it, buy it". It took me 26 1/2 years to train her to think that way. Then I married her. That was 13 years ago. She also asks that I file the receipt in the file for each car. Just be patient. It takes time and a lot of effort.
Bob, in truth, Barb does not give a hoot about money spent on the 'Pine. It is my hobby to build, hers to ride in. A two for one and that's why it has almost 100k on the rebuild. The current work and expenditures are to allow us to put another 100k on it. She is expecting to drive the West Coast in it this summer and we might have to do it two hitches. She also has other trips in mind for the summer. Maine, NYC and probably others.

All in all, we do not have the foggiest idea how much money has been, or will be, spent on it.

Bill

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, in truth, Barb does not give a hoot about money spent on the 'Pine. It is my hobby to build, hers to ride in. A two for one and that's why it has almost 100k on the rebuild. The current work and expenditures are to allow us to put another 100k on it. She is expecting to drive the West Coast in it this summer and we might have to do it two hitches. She also has other trips in mind for the summer. Maine, NYC and probably others.

All in all, we do not have the foggiest idea how much money has been, or will be, spent on it.

Bill
Ages ago when I was racing SCCA, a friend of mine told me that he kept all his receipts until he found out that he could have bought two Cadillacs. I have one drop light, flourescent and three magnetic LED. The drop shines away and if the magnetic ones can get a fix, it is in the wrong place. Oh well. I retired last month and my wife is becoming very supportive of my being in the garage and under the car all day. Huh.

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
I fully understand. We used to put the Kid behind the seats of the series 4 ( no seat belt or car seat ) and we traveled all over the place. We later installed a receiver hitch under it and pulled the Time Out camper with it. That was before her health problems showed up and the Kid grew up. He'll be 35 in April. Gosh only knows how many miles were on that car prior to her having Doug restore it. The only Beam she can travel any distance in is the 69. We want to install A/C on it if we ever finish the current project.
We file the receipts at the suggestion of John, our Hagerty agent due to the values set on the cars. Hagerty insures five of our Beams and will soon be asked to insure our Ford after the paint work is done.
We ran across a neat work light at Rural King over the weekend. It's a battery operated LED, has a magnet on the base and an LED flashlight and hook on the other end. It also bends in the middle. It comes in several colors and sells for $7.99.

Attachments

• 101_0050.JPG
    101_0050.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 101_0052.JPG
    101_0052.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 101_0053.JPG
    101_0053.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 19

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor

Bill
When I bought a series v two years ago my wife said you paid what! Then she saw the car. 52 years old no rust decent repaint she loved it. She gave me two directives. Make it reliable, make it safe! Putting in new interior new brakes and going through engine. She doesn’t care what it costs.