• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car Hauler for our Series V SA 1967

lovethecar

Donation Time
Looking to haul our Classic 1967 Sunbeam Alpine so advice, suggestions, car hauler.....car on a trailer, either open or enclosed. Thanks in advance. Want to buy. We are in Northern Virginia. Going Columbia, SC for the Invasion 2020.sunbeam at show.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
First question is what kind of tow vehicle will you be using. The weight of the trailer and the Alpine will determine the trailer based on the maximum tow capacity of the tow vehicle and whether you need a weight distributing hitch and sway bars. I have both open and closed trailers so my van and SUV are set up to tow either one. I use my open trailer most of the time due to the drag of the closed trailer and the distance traveled. This trailer and my open trailer are real close as far as weight since the open trailer is an all steel unit with full floor. For occasional use check on a U Haul. I know quite a few that rent them. Just don't use a tow dolley. We average towing somewhere between 7000 to 8000 miles from March thru October each year and there are times that the wife and I both tow a trailer with a Beam attached.107_0188.JPG

lovethecar

Donation Time
Excellent information. We have a Mercedes Benz Sprinter (RV Thor Citation Motor Home) which is all set with heaviest duty tow hitch etc. Have to check weight of our Sunbeam and length. Will look at both ...kind of like enclosed due to weather and having to always put up the roof or tonneau which isn't really an issue but nice to have it convertible ready. Where did you buy your covered...one how does one go to shopping for such a piece of equipment without paying more than fair price? :)

65beam

Donation Time
Excellent information. We have a Mercedes Benz Sprinter (RV Thor Citation Motor Home) which is all set with heaviest duty tow hitch etc. Have to check weight of our Sunbeam and length. Will look at both ...kind of like enclosed due to weather and having to always put up the roof or tonneau which isn't really an issue but nice to have it convertible ready. Where did you buy your covered...one how does one go to shopping for such a piece of equipment without paying more than fair price? :)
You're set to go! Find trailer dealers in your area and look around until you find something you're comfortable with. If I were to buy another open trailer I would buy an aluminum unit. This trailer is 16 feet long inside and was equipped for hauling multiple motorcycles. Perfect size if hauling nothing but Sunbeams. We did use it to haul 100 16 foot composite deck boards and 70 of various other sizes for the wife's deck. Never found an Alpine that weighs that much. Brakes on both axles. I installed a 12500 lb winch on the floor up front with a connector on the SUV to supply power for the wench only. I use the wench for loading the car. I installed more D rings in the floor for tying the car down and have installed a wheel chock which stops the car with the front bumper about two feet from the front wall of the trailer for weight balance. I use a wheel strap on the right front side only since I leave the winch cable fastened to the axle strap I wrap around the front cross member of the Beam. I use two straps fastened to the back axle. I weld rings to the rear axle plate that the spring U bolts go thru.I set the hand brake and leave the car in first gear. The car never moves inside the trailer. We were on the outer belt of Baltimore in rush hour and made a panic stop at 70 mph when a multi car accident occurred all around me. I didn't hit anything but found the car never moved. I would suggest that you use weight distributing bars which help control of the trailer. I use a sway bar with either trailer. We use the closed trailer mostly for long trips and I don't want to risk the car getting dirty. The open trailer is easier to pull up the seven mile pull at Fancy Gap on I 77 in Virginia so I use it when we travel down I 77. See you in S Carolina.

Last edited:

lovethecar

Donation Time
You are a wealth of information I will print and post on hubby's desk for him to peruse! We will not push to buy anything unless it presents itself from searches. I have a UHAUL ready to use...Our Car is not fancy we use it to go on gravel roads in horse country around Middleburg, VA near our home so being outside is ok with us. It runs like a champ! so far so good almost 14 years ownership bought from jumpinjan! IT does have brand new gorgeous Navy blue wool carpet from UK (installed) and a tonneau (UK) to match yet to be installed. (the snaps etc fitted). But she shines up pretty nice so we'll wash and wax her and just show the flag so to speak!

65beam

Donation Time
You are a wealth of information I will print and post on hubby's desk for him to peruse! We will not push to buy anything unless it presents itself from searches. I have a UHAUL ready to use...Our Car is not fancy we use it to go on gravel roads in horse country around Middleburg, VA near our home so being outside is ok with us. It runs like a champ! so far so good almost 14 years ownership bought from jumpinjan! IT does have brand new gorgeous Navy blue wool carpet from UK (installed) and a tonneau (UK) to match yet to be installed. (the snaps etc fitted). But she shines up pretty nice so we'll wash and wax her and just show the flag so to speak!
If you decide to start looking for a trailer to buy there should be a lot of trailer dealers around considering where you live. There was a dealer in the Winchester area. The U haul tows great and will work for what you want.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
A couple of caveats if you are looking at used trailers. First, multiple people warned me about this before I bought mine, but good used trailers are very hard to find. Many of the ones on the market are pretty trashed. Mine certainly was. It was probably worth what I paid for it and I have gotten my money's worth out of it, but I would have probably kept looking if I'd realized how much work it needed before I bought it.

The second thing to be aware of is that Craig's List seems full of scam offers. I still look at it from time to time and regularly see the same photograph accompanying trailers in very different areas, with different names and phone numbers accompanying them. I first noticed this because I was casting my net very widely across the NY/NY/CT/PA area; I wouldn't have noticed it if I were just looking in Long Island or Queens. I never called on any of them and tried to learn what was up, but definitely be careful out there!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Lovethecar, The referenced trailer you posted the link to doesn't look at all bad!

However regardless of any used trailer you purchase, please pull the wheels and check the bearing & races before you head out on a trip.

Look closely at the wear patterns on the wheels (tires), that will tell you a lot about alignment too!