• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cant select any gears

tomfc

Donation Time
Well im nearing the completion of my S5 alpine project, after getting the engine running today, i have gone to select a gear, but the gearstick wont budge anywhere near any gears, its like the gears are locked....

I dont really know how to describe it but the gearstick moves in neutral but wont actually let me get near to putting it in gear.

It doesnt crunch as it doesnt let me get close enough to getting in a gear however hard i try to push it in that direction.

When the engine is not running it will select gears normally...

Is there some sort of lock that is released when you press the clutch down or something?

Any help would be great.

agmason54

Donation Time
can't select any gears

Make sure your clutch is working before ripping out the tranny I bet your transmission is fine.
Agm

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Was the drivetrain left in place or was it disassembled during your 'project''? If left in place, it's likely your clutch has 'frozen' to the flywheel. You'll need to start the car in gear and lurch on and off the gas with the clutch engaged to free it. Find a large enough area (cul de sac, parking lot, etc) to do it in case it doesn't break free in the first 5-10 seconds.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is exactly how the transmission behaves when the clutch does not disengage. I agree with Rootes' suggestion. That is, start the car in gear and let it lurch while the clutch pedal is depressed. But first be sure your clutch slave is moving the clutch fork when the pedal is depressed. Be sure you have the slave mounted on the Tranny side of the bell housing - not on the front as shown in the WSM.

Tom

steven

Donation Time
Another old way to fix frozen clutch is to jack up the rear and place a block of wood under the diff. Start the car in 4th and have a friend push the car off the block. Seems to work well without jerking the car all over the place.
Steveb