• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Can one repair an A-arm?

blaucher

Silver Level Sponsor
I took my Series IV A-arms to a machine shop who said they could remove and replace the fulcrum bushings. The old ones were toast, so I bought a set of urethane ones from SS. I also printed all the pages from the tech manual on the proper way to brace for using the hydraulic press and handed them to the boss man along with the arms.

Well, I picked them up this afternoon. He showed me one - looked a little marred but it turned well. This evening when I removed them from the box I was DEVASTATED. They had been mangled. I think the mechanic must have locked each one in a big vise, then used a hand sledge and cold chisel to remove the old bushings and sleeves. The metal is gouged in several places. On one upper arm, the flange faces are 1/4" further apart than on the other, and a couple of the ends appear to be slightly twisted, meaning the holes are not perfectly in line.

I am guessing he beat the new bushings in with a sledge and socket, then tightened the nuts down to draw the sides in tight. Three of the arms creak and groan as I turn them with the pin in a vise, and one of the bushing edges is cracking already.

I will confront the guy this afternoon. I have thought about murder, but that won't fix my problem. Any suggestions how I might proceed once I stop grieving and pull myself together?

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, we need to be careful with these shops. Stuff comes out worse than when it came it!!!!
Jan

dlyle123

Donation Time
I had the same experience with a shop using a press and bending the arms and then sledging in the new bushings. I ended up getting a new set of A-arms.

bashby

Donation Time
You could try Doug Jennings in Ohio, he straightened and rebuilt my A-Arms a few years ago. He did a very good job and was reasonably priced.
Tiger Auto Service
Doug Jennings
425 Blue Bell Rd.
Dayton, OH 45431
Phone: 937-252-3317

Last edited:

blaucher

Silver Level Sponsor
An auto mechanic friend said they were not THAT bad, and convinced me to put them on the car and drive it for a while. So the suspension is back together and I am still refurbishing brakes and carbs before I can get it on the road. Really appreciate everyone's input. One of these days I will add an update.