• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Camshaft Comparison

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
They were also made for and sold for English market to run on 98 RON.

Excellent point!

I'm not sure how European 98RON from the past equates to US "high test" of today but suspect that today's US "high test" is more comparable to "regular" of yesteryear.

At the same time, I believe some folks are running H120/comparable engines on the street today, and wonder how they fare with octane lower than 98RON.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Excellent point!

I'm not sure how European 98RON from the past equates to US "high test" of today but suspect that today's US "high test" is more comparable to "regular" of yesteryear.

At the same time, I believe some folks are running H120/comparable engines on the street today, and wonder how they fare with octane lower than 98RON.

Just like all the rest of us (that arent pinging), they retard the static timing.
Factory originally ran 10 degrees static, now most everyone runs 6 degrees.

Ever wonder why?

Its the gas.

Dusty Bin

Donation Time
I would try to talk you out of the pertronics.
IMO you are better off (and more accurate too) going with a crane XR700.

Hi Rootes Racer, Please would you tell me why you would talk someone out of the petronics and point me in the right direction for info on the craneXR700(not trying to be controversial, just want practical advice)
Thanks

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I would try to talk you out of the pertronics.
IMO you are better off (and more accurate too) going with a crane XR700.

Hi Rootes Racer, Please would you tell me why you would talk someone out of the petronics and point me in the right direction for info on the craneXR700(not trying to be controversial, just want practical advice)
Thanks

You being in the UK, I would steer you toward a Lumenition as its a good local equivalent.

I used to recommend pertronics as anything is bound to be ebter than points.

Years ago I installed pertronics for a fuel injection setup, and during tuning we were seeing big differences in EGTs on the header tubes. After eliminating fuel as the problem, we got out the ole timing light and saw 4 degrees timing difference between #1 and #4 cyls.
We marked timing on a piece of tape on the back side of the timing wheel so we could see timing on #2 and #3 and found them off a couple of degrees in different directions too. This turned out to be typical of other installations
I looked into as well. +/- 2 degrees cylinder to cylinder was what we measured as best case scenarios.

The reason for each cylinder having its own timing is becuase the pertronics target ring has 4 independent magnets in in there, placed during casting of the ring. We know this becuase I witnessed one that cracked and tossed its magnets into the cap.

I dont recommended pertronics anymore becuase I dont believe that this method is viable for accurate ignition, and using individual magnets, placed in a fixture during casting introduces obvious sources of angular error in the final product.

The Crane and Luminition products use a slotted light gate, which can be visually inspected and measured with regard to its angular timing accuracy.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Excellent point!

Firstly, you can't directly compare US octane ratings with the Research Octane Number (RON). 98RON would have about the same anti-knock value as 94-5 US, so such engines would probably do just fine on US premium fuel of 95 O.

As I'm sure most people know, there are two universally-accepted fuel antiknock value standards: RON and MON (Motor Octane Number). Both use specially designed single-cylinder, adjustable-compression ratio engines. However, the MON (ASTM D2700-92) method and the RON (ASTM D2699-92) test under different conditions.

The MON method simulates harsh conditions - sustained high speed driving under heavy load with inlet mixture temperature of 149C (300F) and ignition timing varying from 14 to 26 deg. BTDC. The RON, in contrast, simulates mild conditions - slower speeds under light load with lower intake temperature and a fixed 13 deg. BTDC ignition advance.

What does that all mean? The MON will always be lower than the RON. To make things more realistic, the US octane rating used for petroleum I.C.E. motor fuel is derived from a combination of the two testing methods: RON + MON

Although "High Test" and "Premium" are marketing terms not used in deriving octane ratings, octane labels mean the same today as they did yesteryear. 94 octane in 1969 is 94 octane today, even though the fuels are radically different, with lead gone and alcohol incorporated.