• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Buzz Marcus at Reading

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting these photos Steve! So my car was #74 while Buzz owned it? It looks white in the photos too. Eric

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I wonder if the Alpine in the second picture was pushing the Lotus (I assume) along or was just passed by it. Either way, I like to think it was pushing it along getting ready to pass for the win ;) .

Regards, Robin.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe the Alpine is giving it a run. Since the Lotus is in G-Production I suspect it is running the Ford motor. I forget what years the Ford 100E powered Lotus 7 ran in GP. I think the BMC powered Lotus were in F-production. (Of course the fastest Loti were running a number of 1500+ size motors but these would be in DP and maybe CP)

A man by the name of Brooks Noah use to be Don's main competition. If you look at this photo you will see Don and Brook's cars.

http://www.nationalroadrally.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=343&sort=1&cat=548&page=2

At this event Brook's took 1st and Don 2nd but not by much. As it turned out Brook was protested by somebody (don't think it was Don) and I believe he was disqualified - but I am not positive. The initial competition council upheld the protest so I believe that means he was disqualified.

Steve

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Steve:

Where were the two pics in your first post on this thread taken? That looks somewhat like the Lake Ponca course at the Ponca City Grand Prix in Ponca City, OK. Could it be???

Thanks,

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
It was the Reading Road Races. I believe Reading was in the Northeast... I believe PA. I don't have many details on the event.

But if you go to www.barcboys.com you'll find a good number of photos of the Reading event.

Check a site called "Charlene's Rogue gallery" and you'll find a number of images from Ponca City, OK.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
That's a good question. I will point out that it is Vince Tamburo driving... and he only drove this car once... and I never saw the car again in any photos.

The car to have would be Vince's 1960 Series I which he won the G-production championship.... that would be the ticket.

Steve