• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Buying a used 2.8--what to ask

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Can anyone give me a list of vehicles (models, years) that used a 2.8 that would work for a V6 conversion? I really don't know what to tell the salvage yards when I call. Any lines on one in the Houston area would be great.

Sam

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I can get a remanufactured short block in Houston for $550, but what I need is a junker for all the bolts, covers, etc. I found a good-looking remanufactured head on eBay; if it doesn't work for some reason I can always re-sell it.

Sam

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I recommend rebuilding your own engine, so you'll know what kind of quality you have in the engine. If you can get a good running engine, that has never been rebuilt, you have the best of both worlds. You have a good engine to get your Alpine running soon, then you'll have a good engine core to rebuild. I suggest having the reciprocating assembly balanced to increase longivity and smoothness in the engine.

Rebuilding one of these little engines isn't complicated at all. It takes a bit of time, if you've never built an engine before, but it isn't complicated. Another reason I suggest this, is because you can build it exactly as you want. If you want the 200 hp engine, it is a perfect time to modify it do so.

Jose :)

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, Jose. I belatedly saw your list of applicable cars/models in an older thread. The 84-85 Bronco II has an ignition module/computer, I believe. Is that worth keeping if I'm looking for fairly moderate performance?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The '83-'85 Ranger/Bronco II didn't have the computers yet. The electronic ignition they came with is a very good unit, even if you want to make horse power. It is simple to hook up too. so when you go to the wrecking yard to get your engine, I would suggest you bag the ignition box, distributor, coil and the pigtails that connect them. If it is the Dura Spark II, there are guys here on this board, who can tell you how to hook it up. It only takes two wires and it will run.

Jose :)