• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Buyer's advice needed

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, I'm in wait mode. I told the guy he has my phone number when a number. I've done a lot of thinking and am probably going to use that money to speed up the process of getting my SV V6 on the road.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I don't know. I've owned my Alpine for going on 40 years now. I've owned my Tiger for about 5. I never gave Tigers much credit, preferring the more English character four banger. But after owning a Tiger, I've come to see what that magic is all about. It's a totally different animal, but an amazing one at that. And, as much as I'd like it not to be true, we've all seen how high Tiger prices go, yet Alpine prices aren't going anywhere. The whole Alpine, MGB, TR4 swath of cars are just not hot items. I dare say they never will be. If you are talking about logic in spending your money, you're far more likely to get you money out of a Tiger, of almost any condition, than an Alpine.

Again, still love my Alpine and will never part with it. But that Tiger torque and roar are intoxicating in a way an Alpine can never touch.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Might beg to differ slightly.

My V6 Conversion will also give you an exhilarating touch of excitement:)

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
If I ever get mine on the road, I hope it will too.

update: no offers from Tiger owner, I doubt he wants to sell it. I suspect his wife wants him to.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Market is slow 5 Tigers for sale within 5 miles from me.
I think a couple of years back thett was 45 I counted, Hemmings, Craigslist, auctions, and the usual places.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I ever get mine on the road, I hope it will too.

update: no offers from Tiger owner, I doubt he wants to sell it. I suspect his wife wants him to.

Hillman, What do you need for the V6 to be on the road?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Mostly time and ambition. I could get it running/driving in a week or two, but I want it DONE when it hits the road. That means (to me) strip body, new paint, new top, new chrome and the rest of it.

Since the fire that cost me the SII I just can't get motivated to do much. I hope some of it goes away when our house is back together, the garage is rebuilt and I feel like me again.

On a brighter side, I'm going on a 2,000 mile road trip with some MG/Triumph guys tomorrow. Maybe that will shock me back to reality.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nothing like a road trip to get the motivation juices flowing. I went to the recent Monterey reunion (four days of vintage racing) and hung out with the Sunbeam racing teams. Steven Alcala's #43 12 Hour Sebring Factory Works car was there giving me plenty of opportunity to see an exquisitely restored Sunbeam. Check out a couple photos at the end of thread http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/sebring-alpine-to-run-at-monterey.26870/ Now I'm pumped to continue working on #41 (the sibling to #43).

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow that's my 1 St Tiger I the background in blue with the boot open. I sold that car to a guy who parked it outside under a cover for years and he wonders why it got munched by rats went to pot, I guess I'll have to stop using that saying;)

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow that's my 1 St Tiger I the background in blue with the boot open. I sold that car to a guy who parked it outside under a cover for years and he wonders why it got munched by rats went to pot, I guess I'll have to stop using that saying;)

That was a great looking car Warren, makes me sick to think someone left it out to rot.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
They keep turning up, Tigers that is. A lead I got from a car dealer friend who has a super nice crossover MK1a turned up 2 Tigers. One bought new and one a 2 owner car since 1977 . If someone is looking for a driver its a one owner one repaint car in driver condition. Better than the one that was recently on eBay ended today and BaT last week.

The Blue car was a LEGO car different transmission rear end door, had original 260 but you know that's hardly provable but had consistent build date and casting dates. That car thought it was 100% British as it leaked everywhere. Plus other flaws I can't mention here but disclosed on sale.
Here's a funny and yet sad story. I told buyer the stock heater valve dribbled a little in the last 2000 miles that year and that I carried a by pass kit, and that it gets the 5 days or taillight guarantee and I was selling cause I did not want to fix everything. But it was a good runner and came with free anti rust coating :) I also told him the battery hold down J hook was cracked and would fail in time.
One week later he calls from a stop light saying the heater valve blew what do I do, I responded the best I could and reminded him it as been more that 5 days and 5''. Two weeks late another call while flogging it around the battery broke loose and shorted the e system, he called back, said I told you 3 times now and tried to help but only over the phone. Lastly he called to tell me it's a habitat for rats, yes very sad Jim.

Last edited:

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, I still haven't heard from the owner. I still haven't done much with the V6 Alpine. I still want to drive a Sunbeam again. My motivation is still low. Our house still isn't finished, the garage still isn't finished and I'm still not getting any younger. I think I should build a still.