• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Butterfield 8

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you freeze frame the crash, there's already damage to the car's front. And notice when the spare comes out that the gas tank has been removed. I'd bet it was a junk yard car with a quick respray just for that shot since for the actual impact it seems to have been dropped from a crane.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Waste of an Alpine?

What a waste of a beautiful woman! Thank goodness she wasn't dropped from a crane.

Handsom Laurence Harvey. What a pity he died so young; only 45.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Great work, thanks for posting the link.

Clearly the car in the last shot was a junker with various parts already missing, but you'd have to wonder how the version used to leap from the embankment fared once it hit the ground. Perhaps they were one and the same after all.

Given the amount of clutch slip that was apparent as she was leaving the motel, I think it was only a matter of time before the Alpine ended up back at the local Rootes dealer with a long list of warranty claims anyway............... Not having a windshield in the close ups might be one cause for concern.

Seems Elizabeth hasn't been well lately. Wonder if she was any better at piloting her electric wheelchair than she was the Sunbeam.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, here's a screen grab... clearly this car is already pretty toasted. Check out how the front wheel is pushed back, as well as the very crunched front....

Butterfield8.jpg

mikephillips

Donation Time
Notice too during the "crash" that the spare pops out of the trunk and goes down the hill and across the road. I recall seeing that this wasn't supposed to happen that that road, with the traffic, was active.

Nickodell

Donation Time
One dumb thing about the movie that struck me the first time I watched it: Where in the world would someone suddenly end a fast freeway with a sign ROAD CLOSED, followed, apparently, by a steep drop, and put the DIVERSION sign there, instead of, oh, a mile back?

And why would Harvey - looking all concerned about Liz - chase after her, horn blaring, at high speed, unless he wanted to cause her to crash?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Where in the world would someone suddenly end a fast freeway with a sign ROAD CLOSED, followed, apparently, by a steep drop, and put the DIVERSION sign there, instead of, oh, a mile back?

1960's Hollywood.... You musta missed the part where there was this offramp sign that read "Tragic Endings, exit here. All other traffic stay left."

agmason

Donation Time
"clearly this car is already pretty toasted. Check out how the front wheel is pushed back, as well as the very crunched front...."

If you watch the clip closely, the damage to the front occurs during the ramp jump. The front of the car is not damaged driving to the ramp. when the car leaves the ramp the front wheels are pushed in like the shot of the car dropping to the ground. Most likely the car did the ramp jump and was damaged before landing. To make the scene dramatic, the car was hoisted by crane and droppe.