• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bullet Mirrors for Alpine

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Has anyone installed bullet mirrors on their Alpine that they are happy with? Is there a brand that was originally installed on Alpines and Tigers? I have some generics that are very hard to adjust properly. When adjusted properly, they look out of whack. Any thoughts?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have them on my Alpine and I'm somewhat happy with them. I can see with the drivers side, but the passenger side
one is just for looks. Can't adjust it to see anything except the rear fender. I have them mounted high ( just before the
door curves) and that may be the problem. Not going to move them until I repaint the car sometime next year.

I think I have the same mirrors as you do. They weren't cheap, but not too high priced either.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The alpines and tigers had optional "talbot berlin" bullet mirrors. Most seem to have the jnr mirror ( model 301 iirc) but there is a larger head snr mirror too ( 303 iirc)

All bullet mirrors have the issue of a short post they mount to making the head/ mirror close to the body which limits visibility when mounted on the door ( unless you are very short)

I personally like the pwriod wingard and styla " flo-line" mirrors...nice shape and a large mirror area.

You can buy repro talbots from California.. Not cheap but very well made

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I like the bullet mirror look, but I am on my third door mounted bullet mirror and am not pleased with any of them. I've also concluded that this type of mirror located on the door is not ideal for seeing well behind you no matter what orientation I spin the thing. If it is tilted up enough for my average height, it reduces the field of view behind. I would have to slide down the seat to see anything if tilted to see a bigger field behind. As stated above, it may work better for shorter drivers. I bought one of the other "Lucas" types that can mount on the door, but extend more from the door surface to hopefully alleviate the bullet mirror issues. I have not mounted it yet.

Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
Steve probably like some ive used

index.php

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the original Talbot mirror on my car. It works pretty well for me, but that may be a height thing, I don’t know. However the head does need to be twisted very near the body making cleaning and waxing a finger-injuring hazard.

https://postimg.cc/rDHYS4QF

Attachments

• 48023D99-4D39-4E8D-9161-80C9FB60E88B.jpeg
    48023D99-4D39-4E8D-9161-80C9FB60E88B.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 34

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Rick,
Can you post a picture of this one? That or let us know where we can see them.
Cheers!
Steve
Steve,

I am referring to the one I bought at Classic Sunbeam, but have not installed yet. It is part number MR103L. The base will not cover both holes left by a removal of the bullet one I have on the car, so will need some work to clean things up. Thus the reason I've delayed getting to it. But it pushes the mirror out away from the door more and I am hoping that will address the issue I have with bullet mirrors placed on the door.

Rick

Image1.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I found a fisheye mirror that fits the Bullet mirrors from SS that I use on the passenger side that works great to see back. Sorry this is the only picture I have that show it.
IMG_0614-X3.jpg

IMG_0618-X3.jpg

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and pictures. I’m leaning toward a mirror style other than the bullet mirror. Although they really look good, they don’t seem to function as they should.
Rick

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I fitted bullet mirrors made by Tex. They looked superb but were absolutely useless as mirrors!

I replaced them with a pair of 890/891s from www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk and they not only look good, they work well. I have a clear view of what is behind from both mirrors, I highly recommend these. These are also stainless and made by Tex.
Tim R

P1130980.jpegP1150145.jpegimage005.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I purchased a bullet mirror from SS a number of years ago and was very unhappy with the field of view. I found a generic stick-on convex mirror at an autoparts store that was the same size as the SS mirror and that dramatically improved the view. As I recall, I could have bought a convex one from SS to begin with, but didn't. I would definitely do that the next time.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I fitted bullet mirrors made by Tex. They looked superb but were absolutely useless as mirrors!

I replaced them with a pair of 890/891s from www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk and they not only look good, they work well. I have a clear view of what is behind from both mirrors, I highly recommend these. These are also stainless and made by Tex.
Tim R

View attachment 21312View attachment 21313View attachment 21314

Thanks for the info Tim. The look really nice!

Rick

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Plus one on the stick on convex solution. As for putting them on the wings gag me . If they hadn't been mounted by PO they wouldn't be there . But you can see out of them somewhat better.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am referring to the one I bought at Classic Sunbeam
Rick,

I have two of those that were replaced by the bullet types. They worked OK, but stuck out so almost everytime
I walked by the car I was hitting it. I still have those ( in the boxes) and may try them again, but they don't
look quite as nice.
I replaced them with a pair of 890/891s
Tim, Those look very similar to MGB mirrors. At least they're styled that way.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought two bullet mirrors used but never installed off of ebay. They came from some closed down mustang specialty shop (Mustang Unlimited). They have not been installed yet, I hope they dont suck, but I really like the look.

Last edited: