• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Building a 1725

Jim E

Donation Time
The block drain just passes thru the motor mount plate. I did not have the block fitting to screw the drain into so installed a drain valve right in the block. Bob has the option of using his old fitting out of his dead motor or just removing the stock drain pipe set up.

tfctpa

Donation Time
I take it that the distinguished gentleman in the picture is Jim E, and the one who looks like the proud father is Bob. Just nice to put faces with the names.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
:D I guess I am a proud father, I'll even be prouder when that baby gets put back where it belongs, in the car!:rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
1725 motor

jim,

what distributor and harmonic balancer do you have on this motor?i noticed they look different than the stock items.

Jim E

Donation Time
The balancer is one of the aftermarket light units from those fellows who are proucing them in Holand [I think] The distributor is offf Bob's old motor it is a 25d but has a slightly different vacuum can on it than I am familiar with.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim,
I'm sending my cam and lifters to Delta for KB and refinish on the lifters, which are pitted. But you also said you sent the rockers. Did you send the whole rocker assemblies or just the rockers? And what did they do? I see no issues with my rockers, the adjusters look fine and the surfaces where they contact the valve stems look fine as well. And I see no wear or scoring on the shafts. Or is this somegthing that ought to be routine redo?

Thanks, Tom

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
:mad: Well, the 1725+ was all installed, the wiring all converted over to Negitive Ground, everything was ready to go, we pored a little gas in the carberator, hit the starter, and WELLA! the bendix
cra%ed out. Well monday is another day. So here we go, looking for a new bendix. Is there any advice out there as to where to find one?????:confused: Is there a substute p/n etc.......I didn't see any on Rick's SS site.

Jim E

Donation Time
Tom I send the complete rocker assemblies in if they have wear on the tips. Most all of them do and many have bad wear on the shaft where they ride. If yours are not worn you can skip it.

Jim,
I'm sending my cam and lifters to Delta for KB and refinish on the lifters, which are pitted. But you also said you sent the rockers. Did you send the whole rocker assemblies or just the rockers? And what did they do? I see no issues with my rockers, the adjusters look fine and the surfaces where they contact the valve stems look fine as well. And I see no wear or scoring on the shafts. Or is this somegthing that ought to be routine redo?

Thanks, Tom

Jim E

Donation Time
Bob I have a pile of starters here anything I can send you just let me know.

:mad: Well, the 1725+ was all installed, the wiring all converted over to Negitive Ground, everything was ready to go, we pored a little gas in the carberator, hit the starter, and WELLA! the bendix
cra%ed out. Well monday is another day. So here we go, looking for a new bendix. Is there any advice out there as to where to find one?????:confused: Is there a substute p/n etc.......I didn't see any on Rick's SS site.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. My question got lost in this old post so when I called Delta to order the regrind I asked them the question and they told me I only needed to do this if the tips had any wear pattern on them. They do not, so I did not send the rockers.

Tom

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
That's just what I did. Like you said, piece of mind. With the new engine, overdrive, and transmission, I don't want to have to worry about the starter.
bob,
peace of mind,throw it on the shelf and buy another complete starter.

Jim E

Donation Time
I feel horible, Bob called yestarday and the ring gear got kicked off the fly wheel. This is a F/W I had lightened for the engine. Soon as Bob called I sped off to the machine shop with another F/W and had it surfaced so I could ship it to his mech today. When I talked to the machinest who does my work about this he said he had never seen that happen before and there must be a problem with the ring gear as in it was cracked or some such.

Sorry Bob, the replacement F/W will go on the brown truck today.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Well, what else could go wrong? At least this time it's nothing serious. With the new flywheel in place, engine, transmission, and driveshaft in place, a little gas poured into the carburetor and hit the starter, and VROOOOMM. What a sweet sounding engine, and then sputter sputter, silence. OK, what happend? After checking all the fuel lines the're all OK. Pulled the fuel pump, pushed the cam lever, squirt, out comes fuel, but then we noticed a whole lot of play in the cam lever, must be too much play for the cam to work with. So, it's too late to get a new pump tonite,so tomorrow is another day, we'll see what Friday brings us. Tune in on Monday for the continuing saga of the Jim built 1725 for Bob.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
We did that, disconnected at the carb, cranked the engine, and nothing. Then we disconnected at the out put of the fuel pump, nothing. We pulled the pump off the car and tried manually pushing the cam level and squirt out comes gas. But then we looked into the hole and could see marks on the cam where the lever was riding. Then we noticed that we has to push the lever about 3/4 of the way in before it would pump. We figured that was too much, so that's where we stand. Jim, if you used your fuel pump then I should still have the one off my 1592, it will enterchange with the 1725 won't it?