• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Building a 1725

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've read that in order to correctly balance the rods, the big ends are all weighed and matched, then the small ends. I suppose the end result is all rods are the same weight, but you don't get there by the most direct route.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I've read that in order to correctly balance the rods, the big ends are all weighed and matched, then the small ends. I suppose the end result is all rods are the same weight, but you don't get there by the most direct route.

Bill
I could have described each and every detail of the procedure, but since I wasn't giving a seminar on how it is done, I didn't go into that much detail. Yes, the big end of the rods are matched in weight, but this is done when the lightest big end has been found and material from the heavier rods is removed so they all weigh the same, then the small end has the same procedure done. This way, both ends of each rod will weigh the same, which means that all rods will weigh the same at the end of the procedure.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
The Alpine engine is different than V engines in it is a netrual balance, so you do not make up bob wiegths to put on the crank when you balance the crank.

To balance the rods and pistons the pistons have to be off the rods. The pistons are then weighed and the lightest piston is what you make all the rest weigh by removing material from the inside of the pistons.

The rods are weighed and again the lightest is the one you match the rest to by removing material from the big end. Now that they are all the same you hang them on this gizmo to match the small end and remaove material from the small end until they are all the same.

Because the four is a netraul balnce [I think that is the term] you could balance the flywheel seperate all by itself but it is easier to do it with it bolted to the crank and I think it is better.

Balacing may not make much more power but it certainly makes for a smoother turning engine that puts less strain on the bearings, beats on them less and with the rod bearing issues we have with these engine I think it may make them live longer.

Jim E

Donation Time
Bob is running the later seires flywheel that carries the 7 1/4 inch clutch. I like to shave a few pounds off the F/Ws on these engines they spin up faster or at least I believe they do.

We chucked teh flywheel up in the brake lath and removed some material from the back side. Then reset the cutter and removed some material from the face side.

FW%20backside.jpg

FW%20front.jpg

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jim,

The 2.9 V6 is an internally balanced engine too, so the flywheel is balanced neutral as well. As you pionted out, they place the flywheel onto the end of the crank, to make it easier to spin up and find the imbalance. Even though the four might not need the bob weights to balance the reciprocating assembly, the V style engines do, so is why I mentioned it.

Jose:)

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
C'mon Jim, don't you remember seeing Andrews (AutoX47) flywheel. Now that was SHAVED.
He does say that it spins up faster, but you need the revs up higher than usuall to let the clutch out. He may have gone too far!
Obviously after balancing, its important to mark which position the flywheel was bolted to the crank so when put in the engine the balance is right.
Having said that, why is it not better to balance the crank, then the flywheel seperately, then you could bolt them together any which way?
I would think that two balanced pieces seperate, would equal one balanced piece when put together.
Just thinking.

Jim E

Donation Time
The FW is pinned so it only goes on one way.

I have done it both ways and it seems to work either way. I just feel better knowing and seeing the FW balanced bolted to the crank.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. I now have a much clearer picture of this whole balancing issue. Maybe not quite a seminar, but pretty close. And the pictures helped a lot.

Tom H

Jim E

Donation Time
Machine work is done total was just at $740, well we still have to freshen the head but that is included in the machine work cost. Parts were about $350, rings bearings gaskets and such. Still have the cost for the grind on the cam, lifters and rockers plus shipping.

Now to paint the block and install the freeze plugs then assemble, hoping to see the stuff back from Delta yet this week so I can build the short block this weekend.

Still need to give the head a light port job and freshen the valve grind and surface it but we are getting there, middle of next week it should be done with any luck.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

How much was taken off the flywheel and what were the before and after weights?

Regards, Robin.

Jim E

Donation Time
Finally the stuff got here from Delta... usually they are very fast on turn around but for some reason it took a while this time.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Finally the stuff got here from Delta... usually they are very fast on turn around but for some reason it took a while this time.
Hi Jim,

Jim (The owner) at Delta has retired, so apparently, the company is under new management. I hope this isn't going to be their new policy.

Jose:(

Jim E

Donation Time
THis is taking longer than I planned... the head required new guides and I was sure I had them on hand, but I only had exhaust guides so had to order intakes which arrived last night. The head will be done today, actually both of them I am doing one for another fellow at the same time.

On these heads I left the combustion chamber alone and just worked the ports. The thought is to reduce the lumps and bumps in the ports for better flow but not to reduce the compression with the Vizard chamber modification.

Final assembly should be this week end, pictures to follow.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, speaking of reducing compression by doing the Vizard modifications.

I've often wondered if when that is done, how much you really are reducing the actual running compression. If the compression is reduced 5% but flow is increased 10%, haven't you actually gained compression when under full power? Nontheless, I have to agree with the Master when he said "The idea is to make horsepower, not have maximum compression" or something to that effect.

BTW, when was the last time you took on a project that took less time than you thought? I don't think it has ever happened to me.
Bill

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
:D Well I went to Columbia, SC yesterday and picked up the new 1725 from Jim E. We took some pictures, I sent them to Jim to post. Now the next step is to install the OD and tranny to the engine and install it all into the Series IV, and I'll be up and running. YEAAAA

Jim E

Donation Time
Was nice to see you Bob, you too Judy.

Yep finally got Bob's motor done and here are a few images of it.

eng%20frt.jpg

eng%20lft.jpg

eng%20rt.jpg

Bob%20pick%20up.jpg

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Great job :cool: . If it goes as good as it looks, it will be a little ripper! It's a pity you live so far away.

Regards, Robin.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey whats that flangie thing the front of block drain is connected to ? that seems to be gone off my series V.

tom J