• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Buick/Rover aluminum V8 swap?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill you are right, but a modern motor to me, is a motor with EFI with ECU, twin cam, 4 valve, o2 sensor, no distributor and you can still buy all the parts you need.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Zetec would make a terrific out of production choice, however, an appropriate gearbox is not available in the American market. My recollection of Miata 1.8 attempts is that it is enough bigger than the 1600 that it is a difficult installation. But I welcome any information to the contrary.
Bill you are right, but a modern motor to me, is a motor with EFI with ECU, twin cam, 4 valve, o2 sensor, no distributor and you can still buy all the parts you need.

I see your point and tend to agree, but when compared to the stuff being produced today, it is well, not modern. But still a fine 1725 or 1600 replacement.
Bill

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
I thought the 1600 and the 1800 had the same size. On the picture it seem to be quite tight. People that have used the Zetec engine has been in racing has the converted to carburettors and don't have the bulky inlet hoses and injection stuff.
The Rover K engine? The old Fiat Twin-cam? It's a nice one. You don't have it in the states I guess.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Fine looking swap. Can you share installation information? I'm sure a lot of readers would be very interested. But don't do it here, start a new thread.
Bill

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Bill, thanks! I will have a sort through to see what pictures and notes I have and do a thread. (I have had it on the road for a couple of years now with no problems at all with the engine/trans swap) Cheers Jason

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
While I find that down the road swap problems are rare, I continually have thoughts that "Yes, that will work, but this would be better". Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. As a result, the car is in a continual state of refinement, most of which I have totally forgotten. It is a real treat to see old pictures of the car and see how it has morphed. Do you ever have those thoughts?

Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Recently completed a 63 GT w/ the Volvo 1.8, .30 overbore w/ the IPD Big Bore Kit and A/C. Not a hard Install and best of all , no cutting /welding tunnel and floor pan. There are some other issues , such as mating up the O/D trans to the rear end which requires a 2 piece driveshaft.

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
Recently completed a 63 GT w/ the Volvo 1.8, .30 overbore w/ the IPD Big Bore Kit and A/C. Not a hard Install and best of all , no cutting /welding tunnel and floor pan. There are some other issues , such as mating up the O/D trans to the rear end which requires a 2 piece driveshaft.
Have you compared the the weight of the Rooter resp. Volvo B 18.
(Guess the B 20 have the same weight)

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have not compared the weight but my guess is the B-18 is a few pounds heavier given the cast iron head and
a heavier exhaust manifold. Then there is the trans w/ the o/d unit.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't think we can put much emphasis on transmission weight. It is located in an ideal spot, low and centralized.
I really like this idea. Not really a modern motor, but who cares? A very sneaky way to get a more powerful, dependable engine and bullet proof OVERDRIVE.

Bill

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Decades ago I found the perfect engine for an Alpine swap.

It was VERY RARE in the US and totally complete in a car, in Pick-a-Part.

A late '70s Toyota Celica had an 18R-GU (2L, 2 valve, twin cam with side drafts, NON import type) and 5 spd that came home with me for a song!

And the funny thing is I gathered up ALL the BAD Alpine engine and trans parts I had and turned it back in as a CORE!

I never got around to put it in an Alpine before another guy saw it in my stuff and HAD to have it more than I did.

Last edited: