• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Broken Links

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here are a couple of broken links.

It doesn't appear to be related to being logged in. I'm clearly logged in.

Clicking either of the two circled links results in an error.

Attachments

• 188D78DF-A615-409B-9D9B-7B001BF89272.jpeg
    188D78DF-A615-409B-9D9B-7B001BF89272.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 255FBB45-216A-4D72-BFC0-BF4401202080.png
    255FBB45-216A-4D72-BFC0-BF4401202080.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 11

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I found a couple of broken links in the website

Clicking either of the two circled links results in the error shown in the second image.

Attachments

• 3EF53F5F-D245-4058-A1F5-CF4D72188D2E.jpeg
    3EF53F5F-D245-4058-A1F5-CF4D72188D2E.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 7CDF4BB7-9BDF-4A32-9584-D0CAA671CE71.png
    7CDF4BB7-9BDF-4A32-9584-D0CAA671CE71.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 15

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm using Google Chrome on an Iphone 7+.
I got the same result using Safari.

I clicked on Home, on the bar that says Home/ forums/stock Alpine, for example.
It takes me to this home screen.
I just tried both links again and got the same result.
I also got the same thing on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet.
My name is displayed, so I'm logged in.

I just tried something different. I logged out and it works. It takes me to a screen to log in or register as a new user. But it doesn't work if I'm logged in.

I did find an alternative way to get to that screen so that I could donate.
While logged in and on the home page, I opened the drop down menu and selected Donate. That works.

Attachments

• F464ADED-3B23-43C4-821E-52AB57CB4752.png
    F464ADED-3B23-43C4-821E-52AB57CB4752.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 3

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill: I know exactly what you are talking about and think we need to change the "error" message, if possible. I'll discuss it with Greggers and see what can be done.

And, thanks for your donation!!!

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Well that's my bad, but for what may be a good reason. Bill, as an active member and a current Diamond-level sponsor, you don't need to join, and you don't need to donate. So that page was blocked from the view of most sponsor levels. Now, the reason I did that is because way back when, we had a few members who donated, forgot they'd donated, and then donated again. And then they forgot they re-donated and donated again. Changing the permissions to block the page from view was an emergency stop-gap measure, and I guess I never came up with a good solution for what to do permanently. I've changed the permissions, allowing anyone can see the page, so the link is no longer broken.

Too in the weeds content below:
Because there are two different software systems running, one for the main site and one for the forum, I don't believe there's a way to set it such that, "If someone who's logged in to system B clicks on a link in system A, display this page. If someone who's not logged in clicks, display that page."

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well that's my bad, but for what may be a good reason. Bill, as an active member and a current Diamond-level sponsor, you don't need to join, and you don't need to donate. So that page was blocked from the view of most sponsor levels. Now, the reason I did that is because way back when, we had a few members who donated, forgot they'd donated, and then donated again. And then they forgot they re-donated and donated again. Changing the permissions to block the page from view was an emergency stop-gap measure, and I guess I never came up with a good solution for what to do permanently. I've changed the permissions, allowing anyone can see the page, so the link is no longer broken.

Too in the weeds content below:
Because there are two different software systems running, one for the main site and one for the forum, I don't believe there's a way to set it such that, "If someone who's logged in to system B clicks on a link in system A, display this page. If someone who's not logged in clicks, display that page."

That makes sense.
But here's a little background on why I was going there.
For a few years, I mistakenly had PayPal set to make an automatic $10 payment. I really wanted to donate for the diamond membership. So I tried to access the link to pay for the upgraded membership.

Having a member upgrade their membership like I tried, is probable pretty rare. I guess I was exceptional. I meant I was the exception.

So, the link worked as designed.

One idea I had, when a person is logged in, their name appears at the top of the page. That's probably retrieved from a membership database. Maybe there's a way to retrieve a members' expiration date.
Then have the name and expiration date displayed?
Like Bill Tippy (05/21/2022)

Sorry if I'm overanalyzing this. It's something I unintentionally do.