• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brittle plastic gears in Smith- Jaeger Speedos...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Does anybody know a source where I could possibly get a few of those ? No need for the cam- just the gear would be fine. Or did anybody reproduce them already ?

IMG_20200726_151850.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm. I don’t know of a source, but I’d imagine Nissonger or the other rebuilders know of one or more. Seems an easy thing to design and 3D print in nylon, though.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I like to rebuild things myself incl. Tachs and Speedos. Actually pretty much straightforward except these plastic gears. A 3D repro shouldn't be such a big deal though...

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
When (if) you find some let me know, I reckon I have 2 or 3 speedos with the same problem and like you am happy to rebuild myself. :)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Will report here if I can find some replacements. Anybody out there who can do 3D prints with Nylon ?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’m traveling currently so there’s no way I’ll be home before mid-September, and I don’t have a gear as a sample. However, if you can wait until then and get me a sample I could possibly make a prototype in PLA to test.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Excellent Kevin. Can send you a sample, but just thinking which one in order to achieve proper dimensional execution. Have many split ones but once they even slightly come apart they give more load to the driven gear or in worst case even block it from rotating...

loose_electron

Donation Time
There's a bunch of places on line that sell new plastic gears and will also make them custom. 3D print probably won't be as strong as machined nylon.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I don’t have an indexing rig on my lathe or mill, so machining gears isn’t something I can do - sorry. Bernd, if you decide you want to go that way I’m afraid I can’t do it.