• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Breaking in a 1725cc engine

65beam

Donation Time
engine

Lubriplate NO 105 motor assembly grease, is an excellent assembly lube, I never had any problems using it and I can rely on it.
Jan
(of course someone will reply with "they are ALL the same" and/or "use the cheapest one")

Jan,
105 is an NLGI 0 white grease with a lot of zinc oxide to prevent seizing on a dry start up without oil pressure. Great product and readily available.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
65Beam said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom,
This discussion started out about what oil to use to break in a new engine. The cost of conventional oil and a bottle of ZDDP is far less than the cost of Mobil 1 15/50.

Beam, You are correct about adding ZDDP and your previous recommendation to add some was on target.

I was not implying that mamooose should use Mobil1, but was merely pointing out that a major petro company was recommending an oil with more than 800 ppm ZDDP for "Flat Tappet" engines like ours. I felt this was a needed point to make after you mentioned that all modern oils have "some" ZDDP, which implied that any modern oil might be appropriate for our cars after break in.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Tom

65beam

Donation Time
engine

Tom,
I use a 20/50 . That means it has ZDDP blended and I usually add a bottle of ZDDP if a fairly new engine but after that there is enough ZDDP left in the engine that everything is a go. I doubt that many of us will run an Alpine at the speeds and RPM the Mobil 1 is intended for. We sell several oils that are racing oils that have comparable specs to the Mobil. Check out other blenders products.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
105 Assembly Motor Grease

Jan,
105 is an NLGI 0 white grease with a lot of zinc oxide to prevent seizing on a dry start up without oil pressure. Great product and readily available.

I do have one question before I install my cam & crankshaft. I have read several places that one should use only oil on the camshaft bearing areas and the assembly lube only on the lobes & gear and on the bottom of the lifters. Since I will not likely be installing and starting the engine for some time after it is completed, I'm thinking 105 lube on everything would be best. I am afraid that oil on the bearing areas might drip or slump away over time.

65beam

Donation Time
engine

The assembly lube is a grease with an NLGI number of 0. A grease consists of oil and a thickener along with other additives to give the desired result. The purpose of the thickener is to hold the oil. The oil does the lubrication. It 's possible that some of the oil could separate from the thickener over time but I wouldn't worry about it since this product is blended to be an assembly lube and the thickener is designed to hold the oil under tough conditions.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Beam, that's useful info. But would you suggest if it is wise to use assembly lube on the bearings, instead of just oil, if the engine won't be started until some time after assembly. Most assembly instructions advise using just oil.

Tom

65beam

Donation Time
Beam, that's useful info. But would you suggest if it is wise to use assembly lube on the bearings, instead of just oil, if the engine won't be started until some time after assembly. Most assembly instructions advise using just oil.

Tom

Tom,
The thickener holds the oil instead of letting it drain off. You can do what you think is best but I have a 1725 on the engine stand that was rebuilt two years ago using a new short block. The machine shop that built the engine uses assembly lube so when it gets set in the RHD car I'll have no fear that it will be ready to start. The same old guy has built the engines for four of my other Beams and he coats the crank, bearings , etc. When you use the lube you are using oil held in suspension. OK? Oh, Jean says you're not getting her Tach while it's still under warranty.

Last edited:

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
105 Assembly Motor Grease

Tom,
The thickener holds the oil instead of letting it drain off. You can do what you think is best but I have a 1725 on the engine stand that was rebuilt two years ago using a new short block. The machine shop that built the engine uses assembly lube so when it gets set in the RHD car I'll have no fear that it will be ready to start. The same old guy has built the engines for four of my other Beams and he coats the crank, bearings , etc. When you use the lube you are using oil held in suspension. OK? Oh, Jean says you're not getting her Tach while it's still under warranty.

The above is what I was getting at. That is, what is the proper lubricant to use if your engine will not be installed and broken in immediately. Your statement above, Beam, about your 1725cc on an engine stand waiting to be installed relieves my mind. That is exactly what I am up to. Thanks.