• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brakes

beamertwo

Donation Time
I am in the process of rebuilding the brakes on my Series 2 Alpine and have looked at the prices supplied by Sunbeam Specialties and Victoria British. The total cost of the bits I need sourced from SS is a little over twice the cost from VB. So what's the difference?
Rick

mikephillips

Donation Time
VB offers 3 categories of parts. Those that are correct like windshields. Generally brake seals and pads/shoes fit this one. Those that aren't correct but will work and then bits that might serve that same function on some car but won't work for Sunbeams. On the plus side they usually take returns without hassle.

I think you're safe enough getting seals for the brakes, and perhaps rear wheel cylinders, along with rear shoes from them. I've gotten them for later series there since those are more general standard Lucas/Girling items used by other cars as well. Front pads, I'd give a try but I don't know if the Series 2 ones are different from the later ones and might or might not be right.

65beam

Donation Time
Caliper repair kits were the same thru out all series. I had the VB rear wheel cylinders for a series 2 since I had bought them a couple years ago during their winter sale. I installed them on the RHD car. The ones I had were made in Italy. They haven't presented a problem. Series 2 uses a different pad than series 3,4 or 5. Manually adjusted brake shoes were the same thru out all series.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
VB offers 3 categories of parts. Those that are correct like windshields. Generally brake seals and pads/shoes fit this one. Those that aren't correct but will work and then bits that might serve that same function on some car but won't work for Sunbeams. On the plus side they usually take returns without hassle.
Good summary of my experience with VB! But didn't someone here recently post that they were getting out of the LBC business and focusing on classic trucks?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
... But didn't someone here recently post that they were getting out of the LBC business and focusing on classic trucks?

Yes, I did. I was told that when I visited them last summer. They still do sell parts though, so no harm in continuing to buy from them so long as they can supply.

65beam

Donation Time
Good summary of my experience with VB! But didn't someone here recently post that they were getting out of the LBC business and focusing on classic trucks?
LMC Truck has been around for close to 30 years. I bought all the door seals from them for my old Ford van back in October. Quality is good. They stock body panels, trim, etc. that isn't available any where else. There pricing is better than some other suppliers. FWIW, light truck sales in the U.S. last year were close to three times higher than sales of cars. Old trucks in good shape command a high price most places.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is what they sent out:

Victoria British LTD. is committed to the health and safety of our customers, team members and communities. The COVID-19 virus has temporarily changed life for us and for everyone worldwide.

As a precautionary measure, we are temporarily closing all services until further notice.

We will be completing all orders received through Monday, March 23rd, 2020 at 12:01am (CST). Any existing backorders will be cancelled. We will not be processing returns until we return to normal business operations.

We will get through this together. Take care of yourself and each other. Now more than ever we should realize how important time with loved ones is.

We look forward to the future and “Keeping Generations on the Road”.

Becky Hanrahan
President, Victoria British, Ltd.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Here is what they sent out:

Victoria British LTD. is committed to the health and safety of our customers, team members and communities. The COVID-19 virus has temporarily changed life for us and for everyone worldwide.

As a precautionary measure, we are temporarily closing all services until further notice.

We will be completing all orders received through Monday, March 23rd, 2020 at 12:01am (CST). Any existing backorders will be cancelled. We will not be processing returns until we return to normal business operations.

We will get through this together. Take care of yourself and each other. Now more than ever we should realize how important time with loved ones is.

We look forward to the future and “Keeping Generations on the Road”.

Becky Hanrahan
President, Victoria British, Ltd.
Looks like that's what I said!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel, You did indeed! Just thought maybe the FORUM folks that don't get stuff direct from VB would benefit from the VB Notice.

How's the steering linkage coming?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What I was asking about you Fabbing the front bar 1"x.095 4130 waiting for more bits to finish.

:oops:Wrong choice of words