• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brakes long pedal

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I spoke with Rick at Sun Specs. (Yup he sold it but there for a little more time.) He asked about brake lines. Got new hoses and found when suction applied there is a difference between north and south end of the hose. Is it possible that it is possible to install hoses wrong orientation?.
(don't laugh! back in the day I road Limey Beezers and Triumphs. It was possible to put oil line I/O backwards). Saved a few bucks drilling only one size hole in case. LOL

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm a little at a loss here and wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

I put on Dan's fantastic rear disc brakes. I absolutely love them. They work great. Every once in a while, in the morning, my pedal is longer that it should be. My feeling is that one of the brake pucks is getting stuck retracted for some reason. I would suspect it is a front caliper - as Dan's are brand new and I rebuilt the front ones about 25 years ago.

I do not have any fluid loss. I bled the brakes extra well when I put in the rear discs, using BOTH of my sons, one in the car, one at the master filling the reservoir, and me at the bleed valve.

This was happening only after sitting for a bit, and would not be a problem as soon as I started moving. Recently it seems to be staying in the longer. I am not getting any pulling either.

I looked at the rubber hoses and none of them seem to be ballooning out. The rear one is new. The front ones are probably 25 years old.
Check your front brake hoses and if you have a servo it may be leaking fluid into the vacuum chamber

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I installed new hoses last night. Now looking for a foot to help bleed brakes. Wifey cant do it cause she is a church musician and every waking hour is spent preparing for Easter. THanks for the tip Gordon

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have done it myself with an appropriately sized 2x4 holding the pedal down, but a helper is the preferred method/

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
FYI, per another post on the board, I think I found the problem. The return spring for the brake master cylinder was just slightly too sort. That allowed the weight of the pedal to depress the master ever so slightly. Now that I found that and stretched the spring to keep the pedal fully extended, the problem seems to have gone away. I assume that even that slight compression somehow slightly covered or uncovered one of the holes in the bore of the MC and that caused this situation.

As I said, since I changed this, all is perfect. We'll see if that changes. Or if the spring ultimately returns to its prior size after many uses.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
I installed new hoses last night. Now looking for a foot to help bleed brakes. Wifey cant do it cause she is a church musician and every waking hour is spent preparing for Easter. THanks for the tip Gordon
How about one of these?

The helper that never complains, and is always available.