• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake woes

beamertwo

Donation Time
This issue has me tearing my hair out... Earlier this year I replaced basically everything in the brakes: new caliper pistons and seals, new master cylinder seals, new flexible hoses, new rear linings and seals and an after market servo. The brakes work OK but the pedal travel is very long (so long that it failed its registration check). I have bled the brakes via the two person method, via the one person method with a non-return valve and using a vacuum system; I also had the local garage have a go and there is no change. I am getting desperate. I am wondering if the after-market servo is at fault (I didn't have a servo prior to the rebuild) Has anyone had a problem like this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I like many other Sunbeam Alpine owners have disconnected the Servo or removed it from the vehicle.

My brakes worked perfectly there after.

You may need to change out the master cylinder for a different piston diameter. I ran the 3/4 for years later until I installed my rear disc system at which time I added a tandem unit.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It also may not be the servo but how you plumbed it. If the brake line now goes up and down, or peaks somewhere, you may have an air bubble that simply won't go away. See also other threads on here about rear shoes not being adjusted out, causing too much travel. Don't know what servo you put in. Perhaps you put one in with a wrong ratio. Definitely worth bypassing it to see.