• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Rotors

Paul Archer

Donation Time
Anyone got a source for brake rotors ? Having a hard time finding any. Unfortunately can't use cross-drilled or slotted, so have to stick with stock or vented. Tried the usual Sunbeam parts suppliers and Dale @www.dalesresto.com, but no luck. Help !

agmason

Donation Time
The only source for NOS type is a seller on Ebay Item number: 120515281459 and he charges around $88 for one, plus shipping from Australia.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Paul,

I also noticed that EDC brakes in the UK are selling solid disc rotors for the Tiger/Alpine on Ebay UK. Very pricey though and not sure if they slotted.

Regards, Robin.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul,
Post some photos of your great looking race car. It is always a treat to see this beautifully prepared car at our SOVREN events.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Hey Paul,
I see that Sunbeam is the featured marque at the Maryhill Hill Climb [near Goldendale, WA] next September. You gonna run your Alpine?

Paul Archer

Donation Time
I just noticed that too. Would love to go, haven't been to Maryhill yet so this might be the year to go. We'll have to cross our fingers that the car is still running well in October !

Jfslenes

Donation Time
Wilwood

Some time back (thought Dales did them too) I saw an article or ad for Wilwood vented rotors and new calipers. Available in a couple sizes. Requires bigger rims tha 13". Was available for both front & rear. Go for the Tiger is not the problem. No go is cause for concern.

socorob

Donation Time
Today i looked at some 1984 toyota 4x4 brake calipers after seing it as a common upgrade for datsun z cars.It has same mounting bolt spacing as my S2, the truck had 1/2" thick solid non vented brake rotors, 4 piston calipers with about .18 more piston area if my math was right. The mounting ears are 3/4" tick so the one the steering arm mounts to would have to be machined down to around 9/16, but it may be a cheap fairly easy swap for stronger front brakes. Wont help much with fade though.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Today i looked at some 1984 toyota 4x4 brake calipers after seing it as a common upgrade for datsun z cars.It has same mounting bolt spacing as my S2,

Robbie, did you have the actual parts in hand? I looked into this some time ago, except I ordered a caliper from a 1989 Land Cruiser to see if it would fit. These are for a slightly wider vented rotor.

From RockAuto:
1989 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.0L 3956cc L6 MFI (F) [3FE]
RAYBESTOS FRC3190 Caliper

However, when I received the caliper, the mounting holes did not line up, they were close, but if I remember correctly, they were 1/8" too far apart. They looked correct until I offered it up to the spindle. Note, this was for a Series V. I was wondering if the earlier Toyota caliper's mounting holes were really the correct spacing?

socorob

Donation Time
I measured it quick and dirty with a measuring tape at the local oreillys and it may be a metric whole size that's around 3.5". Kind of like how the Nissan f10 master and the holes in the firewall are "almost" exact, I'm sure it's off between the difference of a whole number sae measurement and a whole number metric measurement. These are front calipers. From where the caliper holes sit against the mounting area to the near side of the slot for the rotor is 3/4" and to the outer side is 1-3/8". I hope that makes sense. It's about a 5/8" slot.

Edit: the ones they use on datsuns and i looked at are on 79-84 toyota 4x4 truck front calipers

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I measured it quick and dirty with a measuring tape at the local oreillys and it may be a metric whole size that's around 3.5".

The Toyota calipers I tried were 3.5" as well. I think the '89 calipers are the same, just for a wider disk.

My Series V calipers (and the Outlaw M16 replacements) are actually 3.25" between centers, so no go on the Toyota calipers.

socorob

Donation Time
My s2 calipers measure 3.5 bolt spacing. I guess that's what they changed between the earlier and later calipers.

socorob

Donation Time
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Tiger-Sunbeam-Tiger-Road-Race-Car-/150485797306?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2309a709ba

I was just looking through the pictures of this on ebay, and it looks like what he did as far as i can tell in the pictures was turn down his sunbeam disc and drill it to use as a mount for a wilwood ring disc. Then he just made a simple bracket to bolt the wilwood caliper onto the spindle.I guess as long as you had your disc turned first to make sure it is true with no warping you could do that. I wonder what the minimum spec is to use the rotor was a bracet?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You need to machne a rotor adaptor for the rotor to bolt to the hub rather than machine the disc, this opens up the options for the aftermarket rotors.
this is what we do on the front brake kits we make, Dale also does it this way.
Were using 10.25 to 11.75 vented rotors depending on the wheel size and a 4
piston caliper.

RHFG

Donation Time
Girling caliper conversion?

Guys

Down in NZ we used the AP 4-pot caliper that came off an Austin Princess and were plentiful 20 years ago, they bolt straight onto the stub axle carrier, but real hard to find now.

Are there any 4-pot that bolt on with no mods needed in US? Hv 15x6 wheels.

Also we are rebuilding our race Tiger and want to put the biggest brakes we can get as the motor is 520 hp out of a Lola F5000, mods no problem here.

Russ

alpine_64

Donation Time
Guys

Down in NZ we used the AP 4-pot caliper that came off an Austin Princess and were plentiful 20 years ago, they bolt straight onto the stub axle carrier, but real hard to find now.

Are there any 4-pot that bolt on with no mods needed in US? Hv 15x6 wheels.

Also we are rebuilding our race Tiger and want to put the biggest brakes we can get as the motor is 520 hp out of a Lola F5000, mods no problem here.

Russ

Russ,

If mods are not a problem and you are running 15" wheels speak to hoppers stoppers in melbourne australia. I put a Uk friend onto them and he used their setup on his tiger.. uses vented PBR discs off XR6 falcons and floating calipers, they also supply CNC hubs that carry wheel bearings behind. Go to their website, also they can adjust the hubs to whatever offset you want to run.