1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Brake proportioning valves

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by phyrman, May 23, 2020.

1. phyrman

phyrman SAOCA Secretary Diamond Level Sponsor

Who here has installed a proportioning valve with upgraded disc brakes?
    Pros & cons if any?

Thanks
    BD

2. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Gold Level Sponsor

3. phyrman

phyrman SAOCA Secretary Diamond Level Sponsor

Cool thanks John.
    Now answer your phone!!!! LOL

4. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Diamond Level Sponsor

Not really any pros and cons. If your system can experience premature rear wheel lockup, they are a potential life saving necessity. Get one. If your system does not have the lockup problem, they are a waste of money.

Bill

5. Barry

Barry Platinum Level Sponsor

FWIW, an adjustable proportioning valve can also be used to address excessive front brake lockup. Probably not an issue with a stock Series Alpine brake system, but upgrading the front calipers could result in too much of a good thing.

6. Charles Johns

Charles Johns Platinum Level Sponsor

I have a prop-valve in case I need it, but many don't if a dual chamber master system. My 65 Mustang was changed to front discs and a dual chamber master, and did not need a proportioning valve.

7. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Diamond Level Sponsor

My original disc brake system, with 10" rotors in front with 2 3/8" gm metric calipers and Saturn rear brakes had a proportioning valve, but was quickly removed as it was not needed. Phase two brakes, with 11" rotors and 2 1/2" gm metric calipers and 2007 Miata rear calipers has a proportioning valve, cranked up about 50% because it is very much needed.
    Bill