• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake proportioning valves

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Who here has installed a proportioning valve with upgraded disc brakes?
Pros & cons if any?

Thanks
BD

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not really any pros and cons. If your system can experience premature rear wheel lockup, they are a potential life saving necessity. Get one. If your system does not have the lockup problem, they are a waste of money.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
FWIW, an adjustable proportioning valve can also be used to address excessive front brake lockup. Probably not an issue with a stock Series Alpine brake system, but upgrading the front calipers could result in too much of a good thing.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I have a prop-valve in case I need it, but many don't if a dual chamber master system. My 65 Mustang was changed to front discs and a dual chamber master, and did not need a proportioning valve.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My original disc brake system, with 10" rotors in front with 2 3/8" gm metric calipers and Saturn rear brakes had a proportioning valve, but was quickly removed as it was not needed. Phase two brakes, with 11" rotors and 2 1/2" gm metric calipers and 2007 Miata rear calipers has a proportioning valve, cranked up about 50% because it is very much needed.
Bill