• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake parts

Charles Johns

Donation Time
It looks as though SV rotors are not available. Are there any substitutes? If not, what modern brake system can be used on the SV spindle? Is there a later brake system available? I think turning my rotors will work because I am not building a racer, but I want very good brakes for a driver. All suggestions appreciated.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Also wiring complete car while things are easy to reach. I learned a long time ago, wire a car before all the interior stuff is installed. Battery is now in the trunk and muffler will be where the OEM battery box was...but UNDER the floor. New Halogen headlights, taillight sockets, and rebuilding of all other sockets to be sure contacts are in good shape. Adding ground connections...which cause many electrical problems. I am finding many different thread types on this SV. Some SAE, some Metric, so I got many of each. Considering making my own wood dash as $300.00 to $400.00 is a little high. I also want a closed glove box that locks, and it will have extra gauges and switches. What thickness wood works best for a new dash? THANKS.

65beam

Donation Time
Also wiring complete car while things are easy to reach. I learned a long time ago, wire a car before all the interior stuff is installed. Battery is now in the trunk and muffler will be where the OEM battery box was...but UNDER the floor. New Halogen headlights, taillight sockets, and rebuilding of all other sockets to be sure contacts are in good shape. Adding ground connections...which cause many electrical problems. I am finding many different thread types on this SV. Some SAE, some Metric, so I got many of each. Considering making my own wood dash as $300.00 to $400.00 is a little high. I also want a closed glove box that locks, and it will have extra gauges and switches. What thickness wood works best for a new dash? THANKS.
All fasteners on an Alpine except for a seat bolt are SAE. No metric anywhere unless a previous owner added or changed something.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
As long as your rotors aren't really thin, or have deep grooves, you should be fine to turn them. I assume there is a specification out there as to how thin you can go until they need to be replaced. Anyone know what that is?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Bought a Walnut plank,and made my own, Bob's right about the threads however you may find some 2ba stuff which is 31.35 tpi close to 10/32 but not, and there are some metric the countersunk bolts in the seat frame are, I tapped them 1/4 28 and machined the heads as their not 82deg.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Those long bolts in the seat frame are 1/4 -26 BSF which is British Fine Thread. I found that out when I ordered new screws. 1/4 - 28 can be re-tapped to use a different bolt.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
THANKS guys for the quick info. PROCRAFT, how thick is the wood plank you used? The glovebox may be a little tricky due to the stock dash being only a little over half a dash...but I can figure that our. I prefer real wood and staining it myself, plus I can put the holes where I want. Speed, Tach, water temp, fuel, oil pressure, volts, and a vacuum gauge are planned. Thought about a clock but the new radio will have one. Still not sure about AC though the wife DEMANDS it. It gets really hot in west Texas. Since I can't go anywhere I will be ordering parts on-line from various places. The windshield guy is not taking orders now, so that may take a while. Removed wiper motor and cleaned but still not working. I have an old wiper motor for a street rod that I may fit (it is still in the box), but a new unit that is made to fit is preferred. Thanks again...now, back to the shop.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
THANKS guys for the quick info. PROCRAFT, how thick is the wood plank you used? The glovebox may be a little tricky due to the stock dash being only a little over half a dash...but I can figure that our. I prefer real wood and staining it myself, plus I can put the holes where I want. Speed, Tach, water temp, fuel, oil pressure, volts, and a vacuum gauge are planned. Thought about a clock but the new radio will have one. Still not sure about AC though the wife DEMANDS it. It gets really hot in west Texas. Since I can't go anywhere I will be ordering parts on-line from various places. The windshield guy is not taking orders now, so that may take a while. Removed wiper motor and cleaned but still not working. I have an old wiper motor for a street rod that I may fit (it is still in the box), but a new unit that is made to fit is preferred. Thanks again...now, back to the shop.
I used a 3/4" x 8" got a hole saw close to the diameter of the guages, routed out pockets for the switches etc. Finished it with Spar Varnish steel wooled for a satin finish between coats. If you are going to have a glove box you would probably need another small piece for the door might be to small when you cut it out. I used a guy named Lorry Rhodes ? when I had a wiper motor redone.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Those long bolts in the seat frame are 1/4 -26 BSF which is British Fine Thread. I found that out when I ordered new screws. 1/4 - 28 can be re-tapped to use a different bolt.
You are correct mis information on my part, I tapped them any way.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
It looks as though SV rotors are not available. Are there any substitutes? If not, what modern brake system can be used on the SV spindle? Is there a later brake system available? I think turning my rotors will work because I am not building a racer, but I want very good brakes for a driver. All suggestions appreciated.
Charles I recently bought a set of rotors from Victoria British they run true and look to be of good quality

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm working out the details of a brake upgrade that uses Suzuki rotors and GM metric calipers. I will send it to DanR who has intentions of turning it into a bolt in kit. Do not look for anything real soon, but an economical alternative may be on the horizon.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
CHarles,
Rebuilt wiper motors turn up on eBay. When I ordered mine, it came in box marked A C Cobra. It was the exact same part. I will probably never own a Cobra, but I have a piece of one! Also, don't chuck your old one - the core has value.
Good luck!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm working out the details of a brake upgrade that uses Suzuki rotors and GM metric calipers. I will send it to DanR who has intentions of turning it into a bolt in kit. Do not look for anything real soon, but an economical alternative may be on the horizon.
For those who might be interested: The system will use 11.29" x .670" rotors, the 2 1/2" metric caliper and 7/8" mastercylinder. It is all sized to work together.
Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
CHarles,
Rebuilt wiper motors turn up on eBay. When I ordered mine, it came in box marked A C Cobra. It was the exact same part. I will probably never own a Cobra, but I have a piece of one! Also, don't chuck your old one - the core has value.
Good luck!
Thanks for the info Todd. I'll check the Tiger section.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Gutting the interior firewall to mount heater and wiring parts plus see how much room I have for a custom wood dash. I am installing a 7" x 7" x 7" box heater with 2 speeds and defrost outlets. Really old cars (1948 and older) I know well but this sporty car is totally new to me. I appreciate all the good info from this site. It really saves time and headaches...THANKS.