• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Master Cylinder cleaning

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have just dissassembled a .70 unit that I do not know the history of. The bores look fine but there is crude all over inside. I have available solvent, carb and parts cleaner (super toxic) and brake cleaner in a spray can. I would like to use the carb and parts cleaner, let it soak for a day but am afraid it will damage the bores. Any thoughts on what is best for this?

(Am sitting here watching Detriot field stripping Alpine parts on the kitchen table. Wife is tolerant but I suspect not amused!)

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

serIIalpine

Donation Time
WD-40 and some 600 or finer paper.

Flush with wd-40 and dry with a clean rag.

Good luck with the wife.

Eric
'62 SerII

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Flush with wd-40 and dry with a clean rag.

WD-40 has oil....You can't leave oils in with brake fluid.
MY opinion - The cold parts cleaner should not harm aluminum, so yes, its okay to let it soak to get the crud loosened. Then you flush it with a stream of water to netrualize it and use your air gun to dry it. Then do your bore polishing w/WD-40 and then you soak it in lacquer thinner and air gun it again. Its ready to reassemble, use the red rubber grease, but sparingly in the bore, but load it up behind the piston, before the dust cap is installed.
Jan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why not use DOT 3 to lube the bore while sanding with the 600 grit? That's what the brake hone instructions always called for. At least that does not present compatibility problems.

Bill

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Now to reassembly

I am looking at the piston and the outer seal. This is the part with the clevis attachement to the brake pedal. Anyway, I know how to get the internal seal on but how in the dickens does the outer seal get there? My master has a steel dust jacket that comes off completely then the piston is held in by a circlip next to the rubber seal. Just past the seal is a thin washer. So I have to either stretch the dust seal opening to clear the clevis or stretch it to go around the washer. I am really missing somthing because I cannot see how this part can go on with out tearing it.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, thats correct. The rubber is stretch over the washer to get on the rod. You need to lube it. I have done this many time.
Jan

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow, thanks Jan!

It just did not look right. I appreciate your reply very much!