• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake clips on Ebay

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I was just noticing some NOS brake clips on Ebay, #290181051658, for a stupid amount of money (150+).... Aren't these the same as the retainers on TR4-6?

I know that most the Sunbeam parts places don't stock these but I am pretty sure the Triumph uses these same clips which Moss sells for a few dollars.

Steve

jmthehermit

Donation Time
If the width of the brake shoe, be it MG or Triumph, is the same as the Sunbeams' 1 3/4" the corresponding retainer should work. The operative word here is retainer. If its a pin with a spring clip or a pin, washer, coiled spring and round retainer washer they serve the same purpose, to hold the brake shoe to the backing plate. If someone needs to be that correct ($) when assembling their car, more power to them. I've been modifing pieces to resolve situations since high school. I always think back to a sign I saw over a Laser experiment at Lehigh University that stated --- our budget isn't that big, so we have use our brains. Jeff

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Based on the bid activity, looks like someone thinks its going to make a more original restoration or a concourse queen.

Kind of silly for a part you have to pull the drums off of to see, but such are tiger folk.

Ive bought a bunch of stuff from Fastcars before, and I'll bet he's just as surprised as we are.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I hope he'll be laughing his butt off all the way to the bank!! What a great Christmas gift for him. Sorry, gotta go find and strip those extra rears for parts.:D Jeff

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I have bought from him, too. No doubt he is surprised!
It closed at 152.50.

You'd have to have a mighty original car to spend that kind of money for these clips. On the other hand, I have sold some original stuff recently that had gone for surprising money.

Steve

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Well if it is just the pins I can make them as easy as pounding a nail.
Cost is about 4 cents but then of course I'm flounting originality.
I would hate to be in a show where the judge wants the wheel and drums off.
Maybe even the caliper off to see if the pads are the right part number.
Mind you I have judged and have seen this type of display on a
sting ray corvette.we had to knock some points off as the springs were painted the body color.

65beam

Donation Time
high prices

i guess it boils down to one thing; the buyer wanted it and he was going to make sure he got it. and he did! haven't you guys ever done this? i know i have. and i'm sure jim is as shocked as anyone. several of us,including jim,talked about this at daytona last month. any item for sale is worth what the buyer is willing to pay .

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
i guess it boils down to one thing; the buyer wanted it and he was going to make sure he got it. and he did! haven't you guys ever done this? i know i have. and i'm sure jim is as shocked as anyone. several of us,including jim,talked about this at daytona last month. any item for sale is worth what the buyer is willing to pay .

And did you see a brake servo with bidding at $516.00?

stanchfi

Donation Time
WOW, last time I did my brakes, I used the clips I had left over from my 96' Honda, I think I paid under $5 for the spring/clips/pin set at a local autozone

alpine-civic-pins.jpg

-James

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
It is odd how Ebay works. I currently have a couple of auctions going and thought the original Lucas Sealed beams (working units) would appeal to ANY U.S. spec. British car - not just Sunbeam. Particularly if you had a very original car. But they have Zero interest.

Also, zero interest on the rear window trim for the hard top - unfortunately right side only. Maybe nobody else has a damaged right side in need of replacing!

Maybe I need to work on my photos....

Steve

65beam

Donation Time
ebay

i think it's a matter of luck. if you remember TT had an nos tiger mk 2 grill and did not get the first bid. most of the time it makes no sense at all .look at the prices for rear view mirrors.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi , I think I may be responsible for that high price. I'm in the Uk so placed a $150 max bid not thinking that the bidding would would go above say $50. Being in the Uk I have lost a few items due to the time difference. i could not believe it topped $150 (and damn relived it didn't stop at $149!!) I already have a better set, these were to be for spares. I'm building a factory perfect series 2 which is very difficult as the finish must be original not just clean. Its near impossible I know but it makes it more of a challenge and thus more rewarding (and flipping expensive!). Recent purchas were 2 brand new Zeniths 'in the box' Bonus was NO age tarnish, they are as new, for $600. I would have spent $1000+. Mania has no control:D

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I think that if I were to wrap a turd in some of that old rootes yellow paper and put it up on ebay I'd make some real money.

Just a thought.

Eric

'62 SerII