• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Calipers

S

Steve Kirk

I am rebuilding the brake calipers on my series 5 with new seals and stainless steel pistons. I have cleaned out the grooves. Does anyone have any tips on how to assemble. The outer dust seal is difficult to install.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This issue comes up every once in a while. I lubed mine with a small amount of brake fluid and had no real problem. It worked out to be one of those jobs that looked worse than it was.

Are some seals out of spec or am I doing something wrong?

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
Depending on which kit you use it can be a problem, the QH kits I've tried haven't been the right size.. First ensure that the grooves for the dust seal are clean, I do this by breaking the caliper in half and using a motor tool with a fiberglass wheel to clean them. Then place the seal in the body groove and pull over the bottome of the piston. As you push the piston into the bore move the seal up the piston body until it's in the groove at the top of the piston.