• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bracket that holds some early Series (SIII & IV) Hood release Rod

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gents, I'm looking for some of the brackets used to hold the Hood release rods in place under the dash including the cable bracket from the SV.

I have some PIC's that may identify the earlier Series, especially the SIV....

In an attempt to put together a reproduction of the early Hood Release Assembly, I now have the "slider" end, the rod, the spring and some knobs (BONNET). Trying to cut some expenses and locate the early bracket before going to the Draftsman/Engineer for laser work.

Any help in locating some or perhaps suggestions for substitutes may be helpful.

Attachments

• Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket      20190204_185854.jpg
    Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket 20190204_185854.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket      20190204_185839.jpg
    Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket 20190204_185839.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 29
  • Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket      20190204_185832.jpg
    Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket 20190204_185832.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 30
  • Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket      20190204_185816.jpg
    Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket 20190204_185816.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket      20190204_185803.jpg
    Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket 20190204_185803.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket      20190204_184652(0).jpg
    Alpine Early Series SIV Hood Release Rod Mount Bracket 20190204_184652(0).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

I have a couple of hood release rod setups in my parts inventory. One of them looks like the same bracket as your photos. The second one looks like a different bracket - maybe from an earlier series. I believe my dad parted a series 3 and 4. He may have parted either a series 1 or 2 as well. Maybe the first picture is from the series 4. I can send it to you to help with your reproduction.

Mike

upload_2019-2-5_0-37-23.png

upload_2019-2-5_0-40-14.png

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Michael!

1st PIC is exactly the bracket I prefer, it matches the one I have, it is from the SIII & SIV's.

2nd has a bracket I am not familiar with it must be a SI or II.... It also looks as if it would work. The way the rod and handle is connected/fastened is very similar to the SV's with the cable. The major difference is the way they are held together.

The SV has two holes for fastening the bracket to the brace that runs from the firewall to the dash.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just made an order for 25 of the brackets from my Draftsman/Engineer Laser Outfit today Feb 14, 2019

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Dan,

I have a couple of hood release rod setups in my parts inventory. One of them looks like the same bracket as your photos. The second one looks like a different bracket - maybe from an earlier series. I believe my dad parted a series 3 and 4. He may have parted either a series 1 or 2 as well. Maybe the first picture is from the series 4. I can send it to you to help with your reproduction.

Mike

View attachment 15254

View attachment 15255

Dan ... The second pic.(above,"hartmandm") is what I have on my SII and this pic. is what is on my SV ..... I'm not real thrilled with the bracket set-up on my SII with the spring and grommet. ..... David

Attachments

• hood release 002.JPG
    hood release 002.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
David, I believe I have a solution for the bracket!

The earlier series (SIV) has a good design, however it is more difficult to reproduce due to the bends.

I can perhaps do the bends by hand, But that is not what I want to do.

The bracket you have is easily reproduced, at least in my thinking. It can be laser cut and with the holes included will only require one bend. Very simple.

What I am in the process of fabricating is the bracket very similar as you pictured. It will have the "U" shaped end "closed". A 1"long piece of tubing 3/8" ID with 1/2" OD welded to the bracket. A brass bushing that fits inside the 1" tube for the 1/4" rod (bonnet release) to slide freely.

Washers on each end of a spring as pictured in Mike's last PIC (Original spring).

I have offered before a slider that I had laser cut that is a duplicate of the ones utilized by the SIV's. It will be on the end where the latch is mounted. The Rod end will be threaded 1/4-28 and fitted with the square inside the bend of the slider and then secured as a stock one is done with a hex nut 1/4-28.

Slow process getting the correct Knob or atleast a knob that looks and functions similar to the original style (s). There are more than one style!! Yuck!

My good friend Mr Bill offered to help so something will be final soon. I am the hold up:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
David, Here is the slider!

Attachments

• 20160630_202432.jpg
    20160630_202432.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160630_202424.jpg
    20160630_202424.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20161016_200904.jpg
    20161016_200904.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 22

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Dan,
I sure like the "solid" rod style as I had a heck of a time getting the hood open on my 67' rescue when the cable and T-handle broke at the same time! .. now I have a SS wire connected thru the firewall as a emergency release in case this happens again.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Me too! I experienced mid 1980's first hand the result of a cable breaking and the results! Not good!

I had pulled into a Campground in NC with my Camper when a red Alpine pulled into a parking lot a good distance from me. The smoking, caught my attention right a way. Saw the driver frantically trying to get the Bonnet open. I ran over with a fire extinguisher hoping I could help. Jerked the battery cables loose!!! He tried a tire tool as a pry bar.... to no avail. I tried spraying the underside and into the engine from underneath, through the grille openings, the holes around the horns, Nothing worked and in the moment of terror, realized best to withdraw from possibly fuel tank explosion. It just sat there and burned to the ground!

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Cars don't explode!.....Bumper and lift struts do and shoot out!
What I have seen for the bonnet release, is to add a heavy secondary wire pull!

BD