• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Booster revolt

dwalls

Donation Time
My SIV brake booster seems to be acting backwards, as it is pushing back on the pedal when I apply the brakes. The harder I push the harder it pushes back. Could this be something to do with the valve with the T lever in it? I also have a lot of play in the steering which seems to be primarily in the steering box. Can this be corrected without removing the box? If the box must be removed, can it be sent somewhere to be rebuilt? I have other issues, but I won't take all your time now. I sincerely appreciate any direction you might provide.

alpine_64

Donation Time
If this is a new problem and not happened after reinstalling it sounds like the piston in the booster is sticking or you have an internally collapsing front brake line that is causing pressure build up.

Did you do anything to the brakes or booster recently?

On the steering, if you have a lot of play what are the ball joints, tie rods and bushes like? Check all of these first.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Also check the Cross Link, the rod behind the engine that connects the steering links to the wheels....those rubber bushings are subject to become worn, replacements bushings available at Sunbeam Specialities (Calif) and Classic Sunbeam (NY).

dwalls

Donation Time
Thank You for your response and in put. As near as I can tell from turning the wheel and observing the movement of components, including the front wheels, the play is in the steering box. Removing the top cover on the box doesn't show any obvious wear or source of the slop. The lube level was low, only half full as I observed.

dwalls

Donation Time
I have done nothing to the brakes save replacing the broken parking brake cable. The fluid level in the reservoir is lower than when I got the car, but I can't tell where it may have gone. I checked to make sure the lines from the master to the booster were not reversed as this was the first thing that came to my(ha ha) mind. I suspect the booster. The brake line failure you mentioned is a possibility, but I'm not sure how it can be verified. Thank You for your response and input I look forward to anything further you might propose.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
You could try bypassing the booster and seeing if the problem persists. The pedal is harder to operate without the booster and a little scary at first, but you should be able to stop the car without difficulty. If you can, you know the booster is the problem. If not, mostly likely the brake line as suggested by Michael.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I also have a lot of play in the steering which seems to be primarily in the steering box. Can this be corrected without removing the box?

When I first got my SIV, I could turn the steering wheel about 10 degrees in either direction before the front wheels did anything. Removing one shim from the steering box lid tightened that up to virtually no slop at all.

dwalls

Donation Time
Thank You for your response. There are a number of shims under my cover, but I had assumed, because there are rub marks from the rocker shaft on the inside of the cover that it was already shimmed too close. I will pursue this further. First I have to find the guide roller that was spit out when I turned the wheel with the cover off. Yet another thing that I can't blame on the DPO.

dwalls

Donation Time
Finally got a round tuit and removed just the paper gasket as the shims all measured .010 which I feared would tighten things up too much if removed. Bolted it back up and that seems to have taken the play out of things. Haven't taken it for a drive yet. I didn't measure the clearance either but assumed it was close to the book .008. That is the thickness of the gasket I removed. Not at all proper engineering on my part, but if it works I'll take it.