• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bonnet release

R

R. Bruce Cox

Hello to all:

Am seeking information on behalf of my brother who purchased a 1965 Sunbeam Alpine with a Ford V6/five speed conversion. Car purchased in Vancouver, BC. He drove it home yesterday, some 400 klics to Blind Bay, BC.

He went to open the bonnet today, and could not get the catch to release. I would assume the cable is stretched.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

mikephillips

Donation Time
Even if the cable has stretched that shouldn't prevent it from working since ther wasn't any limiting device, other than the latch reaching the end of it's travel, to stop you from pulling it as far as you wanted. I would guess that it's more likely that the latch or hood is slightly out of alignment so you may need to wiggle it around or grasp and tug at it while someone holds the hood release pulled out as far as it can go. You might also need to use a wrapped in a rag screwdriver against the edge to lever it forward or backward a bit.
If that doesn't work you can try going through the grill opening and unbolting the hood front end to be able to move it more, it's a hassle though as it's not easily accessible. From that point, if it isn't open yet, you start to get into things that cause damage that would need repair.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
First, if the bonnet handle Is still attached, pull on it until something happens. If it is stretched, it simply pulls further out, but will still release. The release mechanism does not work easily and is a two step release.

If the cable is pulled free, is the bonnet all the way down or on the safety catch? If on the safety catch, it is possible to slide a steel ruler under the bonnet and push the catch forward, releasing the bonnet. If it is all the way down, the hinge to bonnet bolts have to come out.

Bill

wframe

Donation Time
It is possible that the bonnet release is working but the bonnet is not popping up?

My SII bonnet does not pop up at all when the release is pull. I have to stand on the right side of the car, reach in to pull the release with my left hand, and with my right hand lift up on the corner of the bonnet. I'm sure there is something I need to do to the spring that pushes the bonnet up, but I haven't bothered to chase it down yet.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just a warning here: I've broken a release by pulling too hard. 40 year old Bakelite isn't the sturdiest thing out there. These are getting pretty expensive to replace, so pull carefully.

chris

Donation Time
Just my two cents, but I think the best way to get it open is to go through the grill and unbolt the hood. I've had this problem and that was the only thing that worked for me.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi wframe,

I had the same trouble about the hood not popping up. The hood latch has a spring pin that can be adjusted to move the spring and pin out farther, so that it lifts the hood enough to clear the latching mechanism. I had to spend some time adjusting, closing, adjusting etc., etc., etc.., but eventually I got it where it worked to my satisfaction.

Jose :)

It is possible that the bonnet release is working but the bonnet is not popping up?

My SII bonnet does not pop up at all when the release is pull. I have to stand on the right side of the car, reach in to pull the release with my left hand, and with my right hand lift up on the corner of the bonnet. I'm sure there is something I need to do to the spring that pushes the bonnet up, but I haven't bothered to chase it down yet.

R

R. Bruce Cox

Thanks for the responses. Talked to my brother and he was able to get the bonnet raised. Turned out to be a problem with the safety catch.

Bruce

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
.. I have put a loose wire in parallel, ending unter the dash board. Just to be on the safe side if the original wire breaks for some reason.