• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

bonnet catch colours

Limey

Donation Time
Here's one for my fellow maniacs. Just seen this promo shot of Jack Brabham (1959) Note the body colour catch base, black spring and galv catch

Go on. Take it all off and do it properly:(

Shame we cant see what colour the striker plate is..

Oliver

Attachments

• 59 bonnet shot.png
    59 bonnet shot.png
    528.4 KB · Views: 144

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Expansion tank does not have thermostatic overflow used on Series II, so could be Series I type engine.

65beam

Donation Time
Early series 2 had the same tank as a series 1. I think it listed in the production changes if you want to look.

65beam

Donation Time
Do you know how to tell original screws for the heater core/hood latch cover from replacements? There is a way.

65beam

Donation Time
Are you sure? Maybe you should tell me about the screws you have and I'll tell you if you do have originals. FYI, there is a tell tale method to the heads of the screws that tells if they are original.

Limey

Donation Time
Forgive me but it is unlikely that the screws on my five cars are new and I'm not in a position to remove one at the moment.

My understanding though is that they were body colour.

65beam

Donation Time
You don't need to remove them to see the sign that they are originals.

Last edited:

ALC 68A

Donation Time
6 x body coloured, No. 10 x 1/2" domed top, slot headed screws, I believe. I have been criticised for having natural steel, Philips head screws on mine, but I'm not bothered.

I'm all for originality, but I think it's possible to get a bit too an*l on some of these details. I recently watched a TV programme where a chap lost concours points for one wrong pattern Jubilee clip. It makes a difference at Pebble Beach level, but I thought we were "keeping 'em on the road" rather than arguing over small details.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I can not confirm if the machine screws are painted or not. I can confirm they all are pan head machine screws 10-32 x 1/2" long with small flat internal star washer.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow, even in the land of Redondo Beach and not Pebble Beach some of can say what's wrong with a car or what's been played with.
Let's say what's right and what's been changed.

On the mostly all original cars I have not played with but taken apart. The pan head screws have a circle die stuck in the center of the slotted head. Now since these cars could have been serviced it could explain the reason why not all have the circle . There has a discussion about not all screws being the same in some judging events I have attended.
It's my opinion that they had a big box of screws and dumped new into the bin on top of the old from different vendors explaining the mix.

Last edited: