• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bolts for bellhousing

howard

Donation Time
Some IDIOT (that's a euphemism for ME) scrambled the bolts that go to his car, and soon it'll be time for the IDIOT to bolt the engine to the tranny. Just wondered if anyone had specs showing which size bolts/nuts secure a SIV auto trans bellhousing to the engine.

Also noticed a single bolt that's chromed on the threads, but not the head. What's THAT one for?:confused: Maybe it'll be obvious when I get everything laid out for the reconstruction, but right now it's a mystery.

Thanks for any help.

tigretr

Donation Time
All the bolts that go through the bell housing into the block are 3/8-24. The length varies. For the ones that go into the block, measure the thickness of the bell housing and then add 5/8" for the total bolt length. (this is 1.5 x bolt diameter + 1/16" for your washer). Others go through the block with a nut on them. They too are 3/8-16 or 24 (take your pick). Length varies.

Everything else is 5/16. I saw only 1 threaded hole in the bell housing and it is 5/16-18.

As for your chromed bolt. If it is chromed there is no good reason. I would recommend getting new bolts (grade 8) for the hole assembly.

I hope that helps.
Happy New Year!

Brian

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
For some reason, I seem to remember there is one bolt that is "sleeved" that goes in one larger hole?

Series 5 only maybe? Don't remember.

P

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah the one bolt on the passenger side [LHD] is pretty much captured in the block, think it is shouldered, you can drive it out but I never bother.