• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bolt on EFI?

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
So, as I was checking out the bling at the Boise Roadster Show this past weekend, I see a booth advertizing a bolt on-carb replacement similar to,
IMO, Holley's pro-jection. The company's name is Retrotek. See retrotekspeed.com.

I e-mailed the company and asked about a potential replacment for the small Holley and this was their response.

"Pete,

You can use our 750 with returnless fuel system. Don’t worry about the size because EFI only uses as much air as it needs to, so it’s not too big. Our die cast satin finish should be perfect. It runs $2195 for the complete system."

Mark,

RetroTekSpeed

Does anyone have experience with this option? P.

Any of you northwesterners going to the Portland Swap meet Apr 4-6? It's nearly heaven....

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I saw this system on TV a week or so ago. I like the idea but ouch the price.

Let me know how it works. I am a ways off before I make a decision.

Maybe I can win the lottery before then.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You can use our 750 with returnless fuel system. Don’t worry about the size because EFI only uses as much air as it needs to, so it’s not too big. Our die cast satin finish should be perfect. It runs $2195 for the complete system."

Who ever told him to sat that has never driven a car with too much air flow capability for the engine. When the throttles are larger than needed, the idle and light load section of the throttle is very sensitive, makes cruising a lot less fun since every bump in the road causes the throttle to move and the car to surge.

Also the 750 is going to have larger injectors in it than what you would want for a 350CFM setup. The result will be poorer idle control.

I am not fond of returnless fuel systems, when you run it out of fuel, it takes a long time for the bubbles to get out of the fuel rail and it runs like crap till the air is gone.

for $2195 I'd say the price is not too bad, the ECU they sell doesnt directly control ignition though (needs an MSD or the like). You can do better for less, but not for a bolt on.

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
This might be a way to get fuel injection on the cheap. I read this a while back and have wondered about it. I'm not sure if it's upgradable down the road if you were to want more power etc. but, from what I've read (there's really limited info) it looks like if you could source all the stuff from a junkyard you might be able to go with fuel injection for close to the cost of a carb. No idea if this would bolt up to the Offy manifold or if you would even need the Offy manifold with this set up. Maybe someone who is more familiar will chime in..... http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8_FuelInjection.html
Someone should try it and tell us all if it works :)
Bryan