• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bodyshop supplies are being choked by the Feds

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
On another rant..LoL!
Have you tried to purchase the Klean-strip's Aircraft paint remover? This excellent stuff is GONE!
Apparently, in 2019 the Feds put a band on Methylene Chloride!!! "Now it's all crap", and thats the angry word I received from my auto paint store manager!
Check it out:
http://kleanstripauto.com/products/aircraft-paint-remover

aircraft-paint-remover-zoom.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, and MEK is gone off the shelves too... all you can get now is “MEK Substitute”. Grrrr.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
It started with Trounce hand cleaner, and continues to remove any product that works with a" VOC" that's not acceptable.

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Did you guys read why it's banned?
Its mostly from California environmental hype:
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Methylene Chloride and Ethylbenzene, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, and Methanol and Toluene, which are known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Seems like everything you buy these days has a Prop 65 warning. Even some gun cleaning patches I bought recently.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
" ...which are known to the State of California to cause cancer..."

Well, then don't bloody well use it in California and you'll be just fine, I say.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
“Saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.”

― George Carlin

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just wanted to bring this issue to everyone's attention and be aware.....Its getting to the point that enough...IS ENOUGH!!!! with this cancel stuff.
The motivation to make here is ......get our cars done NOW!!! If you are thinking to start a restoration project...NOW IS THE TIME!!!
Sorry, but it might be TOO LATE START! But hang in there...we are here to help!!!!!!!!
Jan
(I have three cars to start on yet, and finishing up a Tiger)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not to mention that it kills people, directly from inhalation and indirectly from cancer. Also, the ban is not total, commercial use is allowed. Probably means a minimum purchase is a 55 gallon drum full.

Bill
This probably needs to move to General Chit Chat
Yes, this is mostly uninformed conjecture. Some will be surprised to learn the Feds do not rely on second party data. Dollars to donuts there is EPA data. At a minimum, EPA has reviewed extensive California data and found it to be of high quality.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just wanted to bring this issue to everyone's attention and be aware.....Its getting to the point that enough...IS ENOUGH!!!! with this cancel stuff.
The motivation to make here is ......get our cars done NOW!!! If you are thinking to start a restoration project...NOW IS THE TIME!!!
Sorry, but it might be TOO LATE START! But hang in there...we are here to help!!!!!!!!
Jan
(I have three cars to start on yet, and finishing up a Tiger)
This action was taken in December of 2019, so it is a bit late to bring up the "cancel stuff".

Bill