• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Body Mods EXTREEEEEME!

C

CThompson

I just posted about my plans for bodywork on the new shell over at:

http://www.saoca.org/protected/forum/showthread.php?p=2792

Are there any mods, bracing, etc I should be contemplating since I'll have this beast up on a rotisserie/frame bench and probably down to bare metal with a BUNCH of welding?

I have no sense of romance to cars, so I'm willing to modify anything and everything, with little regard to "concours" or the like, though I'd like to keep the sleeper look on the outside. I want a great car, not a trailer queen.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I just posted about my plans for bodywork on the new shell over at:

http://www.saoca.org/protected/forum/showthread.php?p=2792

Are there any mods, bracing, etc I should be contemplating since I'll have this beast up on a rotisserie/frame bench and probably down to bare metal with a BUNCH of welding?

I have no sense of romance to cars, so I'm willing to modify anything and everything, with little regard to "concours" or the like, though I'd like to keep the sleeper look on the outside. I want a great car, not a trailer queen.
Hi CT,

I hope I don't offend you, but you should make this car a parts car. It will need so much time and money to repair, that you'd be better off buying a better body to begin with. It appears like the whole bottom of the car is rotted off. I guess you will get a better look at it when you bring it home, where you can assess it's true condition.

I just don't want for you to be into it for $15k, without even doing anything to the drive train.

Jose:(

C

CThompson

Jose,

That is entirely possible, and something I'm considering, if it's too bad.

I'll know more when I get it home.

I do have some friends who are fantastic fabricators, so, we'll see.

atallamcs

Donation Time
is it worth it

Hi there,

I am inclined to agree that it is not money well spent to restore that particular Alpine. I have restored several that were a bit rough at great expense. I think even this one would discourage me and the professional team. Maybe look for another vehicle so the ultimate integrity of the final product is better.

Bill

bluoval

Donation Time
Body Mods

Ct I Bought A V6 Conversion Last Year That Had A Fresh Paint Job And All Thi Major Work Done Wrongggg Every Thing Was Superficial And There Were Real Issues As To Safety. We Need To Remember That These Cars Are 40 + Years And Have A Few Sags But With This Little Car A Sag Can Cost A Person Their Life If The Sag Gives Way To A Brake Or Even Just Slips A Little At Bad Time ..my Problem Was I Did Not Start With A Good Sound Foundation So It Has Cost Me Dearly To Re Do Everything That Has Been Done And Things That Were Covered Over ..and Was To The Point That I Bought Another Alpine V6 Conversion That Was A Good Platform And Give Up On The Origional .. But With A Lot Of Time And A Lot More Money Than I Care To Reveal I Think It Will Come Around Good Luck Earl Glu Oval

C

clodico

Atallamcs, dont you have a body for sale on Ebay that has all of the work done to it? That seems like it would be a worthwhile V6 project.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I don't know if Bill would necessarily want for his Alpine body to be converted to the V6, but I recommend starting with the very best body you can afford. Even with this kind of car, you will have plenty to do. Enough so that you won't get bored, that's for sure.

I had one customer in St. Louis Mo., that bought an Alpine that needed quite a bit of body work done to it. He took it to a body shop to have it fixed. When he finally got the bill, and saw the crappy job they had done, he got discouraged and sold the project, and took a bath on it.

My first Alpine had a totally rust free and straight body, but I still had plenty to do restoring it.

Jose:)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hey C.T.,

Don't go away. Don't let this Alpine discourage you. I'm sure that you can still find a $500 Alpine in better condition than this particular example. I'm sure that all the guys that commented would be sad to see you just get discouraged and not continue with an Alpine. We just want for you to successfully restore a needy Alpine, and not take a bath on a poor example.

Jose:)