• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bobbo got home

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I want to put my thanks out to all who arranged and helped out with the invasion. I HAD A GREAT TIME!!
Charlene and I finally got ourselves back to Canada after a short stint in Florida after the get together.( no we didn't drive to Florida ).
Trip home however wasn't without it's issues. The clutch hydraulics held up fine. My thanks to Sam for his help in getting "the other woman" shifting again.
We decided to take a slower drive home and different route, so travelled up the I77 and then across the I81, a beautiful drive. ( didn't have the time or weather for the Blue Ridge Parkway though). Starting motor had now quit, so we were parking only on inclines or Charlene was pushing to bump start.
By the time we were into New York I decided to travel West along the N.Y. Throughway. Made it as far as Niagara Falls New York.
11:30 at night travelling toward the Rainbow Bridge,( I could smell the sweet aroma of Canada now and my own bed). Only a Boarder Crossing stop and 3 more hours of driving to go and "the other Woman" decides she has had too much and blows a gasket! White smoke engulfs us and all the cars around us.
Well that was too much for me, Holliday Inn just beside us got the nod.
Next morning had it's share of frustration, thinking we might get by with a bottle of block sealer, no way.
To cut the story short, we ended up getting a cab to the Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls, Walking across the bridge and through Customs. Called one of our freinds from close to home to pick us up. Two days later I went back to Niagara to trailer the old girl home. She is in the garage now, I might get a start stripping her down this weekend.
I Think I'm glad to hear there won't be an Invasion next year, I would have to decline.
Anyway, It was great fun, we love everyone we met, if only all the world could own Alpines, I think a lot of our troubles would disappear. ( but that's for a different posting).
Wonderful to meet y'all and share. Will cherish the long distance and hard luck awards.
Bobbo ( Bob Mason )

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bo, That was some trip! Nice to meet you and all the other great members.

Keep'em on the road,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Bobbo's Most Excellent Adventure!" Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. If there were no problems, these outings would only be trips. That is the downside to modernizing an Alpine.

As much as I like the Duratec, I think that if I had it to do over, I would build a Chevy rod Alpine and swap out the rear end for a better ratio.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
As much as I like the Duratec, I think that if I had it to do over, I would build a Chevy rod Alpine and swap out the rear end for a better ratio.

Bill

that is my car exactly. It is a wonderful combination, but trust me, Bill: you would still want more. Besides, once you had all that done you'd be finished. Then what would you do for fun?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
that is my car exactly. It is a wonderful combination, but trust me, Bill: you would still want more. Besides, once you had all that done you'd be finished. Then what would you do for fun?

Lust for more. Really, there is no end to it. My car's performance is close to that of a stock Tiger and I'm considering a bigger engine.

But as much as I love my car, somehow I feel I have destroyed its Alpine soul. It is now something different. If a "purist" claimed it was no longer an Alpine, I would tend to agree. Its a lot like the new house we built. Purchased a wooded lot to build it on, then cut down the trees in order to build the house.

Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
on the road again

We had such a good time in Charlotte NC. But I swore we would never venture that far again in the Alpine.
Just got it re-assembled from a valve issue.
SO the good news is Greensburg isn't that far.
Any one else coming down from Canada? Charlene and I would be happy to motor alongside you.
Looking forward to the invasion ( all going well ).
Bobbo