• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blue RHD Harrington in France

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for pointing this out. In viewing the pics, I see they added tubular shock absorbers on the rear axle.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is that particular rear shock set up particular to the Harrington? I don't think I have seen one bolted to the U bolts.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have worked on 5 Lemans cars and they all have the lever shock.
I see the top shock mount is bolted to the frame rail.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

all of the lemans were built on series 2 cars. that means that they would have the lever arm shocks. i have a lemans that had a lever arm conversion done by the dealer in silver springs ,md in the late sixties. it is set up the same as series 4 and 5 cars. they used a later rearend and reinforced the area where the later cars would have the top shock attachment. looks just like a series 4 or 5 shock setup.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bob, there's a height issue of the body's crossbeam of the later vs early. The early bodys have that beam about 3" lower than the later cars. So, the shock has to be dropped more than the later cars (I'm talking about where the upper shock mounting point's vertical location relative to the axle)
Could you show a picture of your setup?
(Also, my friend said he saw a red Lemans in an enclosed trailer at a hotel. Was that your Lemans? Were you at the Eastwood Park British car gathering on Saturday?))

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

jan,
remember when this conversion was done and who did it. they probably did not call in an engineer to design it. they welded steel plates across the area where the top of the shocks go thru the body and also on the sides down to the frame rail and found shocks that worked. i don't know what shocks they used but they are still on the car. the body is stored in one of my garages that i haven't been near for many months and it has lots of parts and rental unit appliances stacked around it so i don't know when i would be able to pull it outside. other projects have been keeping me busy. we were at the show in dayton saturday, took first place in the alpine class, got invited to the dayton concorse and also oakwood. the harrington hauler was parked at the homewood suites near the nutter center. we had 16 sunbeams ( 7 alpines ) turn out and also had a get together at the clubhouse that lasted well past sundown. you missed the series 2 with the continental kit/spare tire mounted on the back.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Once Koni had a conversion kit for Alpines Series I and II. I know some cars in UK which are carrying them. Perhaps still available? Google!

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

did anyone notice the odd angle on the rear shocks? the top mounts appear to be mounted towards the rear of the car. i wonder how the sun roof is mounted to the top. there are no bows running cross ways under the roof. they have a wood frame running up the side only. has anyone seen one of them installed?