• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blue and Yellow mind Bender

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
So my question is..........
There is a fad of putting Radom Rootes Boxes or packages next to used parts for sale. So I'm trying to answer a question in my head.....why? What is the motivation of the seller? Now these are honest sellers and I know they provide good parts. But why? I can't help but think someone paying $250.00+ for used gas cap thinks that is is new, NOS. For a 1/4th of the price, new chrome is available on an original part. There have been dozen of examples, like someone paying over $200 for a set of door plugs. See second listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161209377038?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/plug-set-fo...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c794f14bb

I know, I know, the seller clearly states in the listing these are not new parts. But it still prompts me to ask why. Why are people paying this much for used parts that are plentiful. My answer can only be, they don't read the listing. Memorized by the blue and yellow hypnotic packages, they just start bidding out of control. So is it deceptive marketing? I think it's clearly somewhat in the gray area, with most responsibility falling on the buyer. But if and when I obtain another parts car, my listings will most certainly be laid out with some blue and yellow mind benders.

Last edited:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
What some people will bid blows me away.

I must have a small fortune with some of the stuff sitting around on the shelf
Never considered it worthy of selling.It is for someone who just needs a in case part till they get a perfect one.That someone is most likely me.
Yet I did pay 200 bucks for the gas cap for the Lister and that was a brand new one

65beam

Donation Time
bender

paul,
it's called " MARKETING". it's a mind thing. companies spend a lot of money on advertising to convince potential customers to buy their products. it seems to work for e bay sellers also. there is a percentage of people that think another way and no amount of advertising will ever sway the way they think. they will never pay the prices we're seeing items sell for on e bay so sellers like myself know there is a limited number of buyers that will pay for original excellent condition used items because they want an original piece. those buyers will also spend what it takes to replate or refurbish these items. the buyers are aware of the fact these are used pieces. the same goes for when they are buying NOS parts. their feed back tells the story. that's what they want and they will buy it and care less that others question why they paid a high price for the item. PROFIT is not a dirty word.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Marketing does come into play, but I think 200 for four door plugs and other examples is mostly ignorance combined with greed and a cup full of bidding greed. In the end, the perfect storm, and one can laugh all the way to the bank. Heck no, profit is not bad. I'm jealous! I gave boxes full of parts away and threw stuff out when I moved.
Can't wait to find another car!

;)

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I know a fellow sports car enthusiast in Georgia that used an Orange (the fruit) next to the product being sold. I asked him about his inclusion of the Orange and he said "I use it to identify my items and provide some reference to size." All of his parts were either NOS or very good to excellent used. He always described the part as it appeared to him without any embellishment. What I often noted about his items were the higher (20% to 150%) attained bids than similar or even the same items being offered on Ebay. In addition the photos were always excellent to give the potential buyer an inviting and informative view of the product. Being a mediocre seller takes very little energy and time. Being an excellent seller takes forethought and considerable effort. The outcome for each type of seller may bring about the sell, but, it shouldn't be surprising that the person with good products and the fortitude to put thoughtful presentation before the potential buyers out strides there competition every time.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I agree its a gray area. A picture's worth a thousand words? If you place a part with no obvious blemishes next to an original Rootes package that's looks like it might be the right size to contain that part, you've made a strong implication that the two are connected. NOS. The seller is telling a story with the photo - one that's at odds with the text that you have to scroll further down to read.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As it is said a PIC is worth a $$$

The following is what the Listing had displayed very clearly:

SUNBEAM TIGER, SUNBEAM ALPINE ORIGINAL GAS CAP, NICE CHROME! ROOTES
See original listing Item condition: Used

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Give

Me a break, I put keys to car house and quarters, and I get average results. A lemon would be better. Chrome hard to shoot 99% of the time.
An invite to bad feedback or a returned item.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't see anything wrong here. I've paid what I knew was 4 times the going rate for parts where I knew the guy selling them was going to provide exactly what I wanted and as he described. Was it foolish? Who cares. The Sunbeam guys that know a Sunbeam through and through and make a little money selling parts are exactly what's needed when you're looking for what you can't find anywhere else. If those guys get a little boost from an over eager buyer who knows what he wants and adds to the "parts guys" lot in life, then everything works as it should and the world is in sync. The "parts guys" are doing what they do. Are they heros? Who knows. The heros are the guys that drive a Sunbeam and give you endless advice and practically give you whatever they have simply because you also enjoy driving a Sunbeam. I could name names, but it would be only for the benefit of those who haven't already figured it out. Alpine 63 and Dan R deserve recognition for who they are. I'd love to see both of those guys throw their hats in the ring and step up to the plate of the politics of being an officer of this great club. Series 6 Nick is a great administrator, intentionally or not, and an example for all. And who can ignore Big Al. The folks here in this club are as good as it gets.

65beam

Donation Time
bender

you don't have to go to the text to see if it's used or new. that is stated just to the right of the photo.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ebay will always bring more than market price. What happened on your tool kit? Reserve? Are you scared? :D

65beam

Donation Time
bender

paul,
my reason for selling on e bay is because I can and not because i have to. I have sunbeam parts that I bought in the 60's and I parted my first sunbeam in the late 60's. I'm selling off parts I have no reason to hang onto. I'm sure not scared that it won't sell. i have gotten a lot of e mails with good offers to buy it. if it doesn't sell i'll put it back in the bin with my other tool kits and maybe list it at another time. the wife has said for years that we don't have to feed, water or take care of the parts as we did with the kid. the parts just occupy space.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know all that.....make it exciting and start at 9.99 and let it run! Love to watch those kind of auctions! I watched a Turkey Call, very rare Gibson start at 9.99 with no reserve. Finished over $12,000. Seller found at estate sale, didn't know anything about it.
Reserves are no fun. :)

PS: I don't need one.