• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blowing oil out the front!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Well, as I have reported in the past my car blew some oil out the front of the timing cover on the way to Invasion last year.

I have taken things apart and found that the Timing cover was not on center with the pulley. I have posted some photos and comments with regard to the project.

I think that I may still need to do the Chevy timing cover and seal mod but hope that a little less work may be possible.

I have also found a different pulley that I would like to use, please tell me what you think.

My photos and link is at:
http://www.ramdesign.on.ca/sunbeams/rebuilding.htm

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Andrew:

Centering the timing cover will help - but - in the long run you will be better served to do the Chevy timing cover adaptation. It is not a difficult project and it will eliminate the oil leak. If you have an extra Alpine timing cover and pulley you can complete the adaptation before you remove your original cover from your engine and thereby lose minimal street time on your car. As you know, I did the modification on both of my Alpines and am well pleased with the results.
No oil leaks is a nice thing!

from sunny South Dakota where spring is reluctant to arrive,

Paul A

67' Series V (Ol' Blue) 5 speed
65 Series IV Automatic
64 Series IV V8 Automatic

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Paul, where can I find out about the Chevy converson? My series II leaked until I found the correct Churchill tool to center the cover. It stopped the leak
but I think a Chevy seal would be better.
Lee

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

This problem was raised in our local club monthly newsletter. It was sent to a member from the Hillman club, who have overcome alot of oil leaking problems by installing a pcv system to their cars. They did drill a hole into the rocker cover, but it fixed the problem. They even stopped a well worn engine from blowing smoke. I can't locate the article at present, but maybe alpine_64 can post a copy.

Regards, Robin.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Andrew:

Centering the timing cover will help - but - in the long run you will be better served to do the Chevy timing cover adaptation. It is not a difficult project and it will eliminate the oil leak. If you have an extra Alpine timing cover and pulley you can complete the adaptation before you remove your original cover from your engine and thereby lose minimal street time on your car. As you know, I did the modification on both of my Alpines and am well pleased with the results.
No oil leaks is a nice thing!

from sunny South Dakota where spring is reluctant to arrive,

Paul A

67' Series V (Ol' Blue) 5 speed
65 Series IV Automatic
64 Series IV V8 Automatic

Hi Paul,
I plan to do the Chevy cover mod at the end of April. I have found an extra pulley and cover.
Thanks for the note.
Regards,
Andrew