• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Big Surprise

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I just saw something I never thought I'd see here in Colombia. I went to a friend's shop to visit him, and when I came out, There it was, in all it's glory. A Dodge Colt, same as a Plymouth Cricket. I don't know what year it was from, but it had rectangular head lights. Someone was taking very good care of it, because it looked pristine. It was a little light blue four door. I never thought I'd see a Rootes vehicle here, but there it was. Maybe someone of you guys can tell me what year it was from, just by the rectangular head lights.

It is a nice thing to get a nice surprise once in a while.

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I just saw something I never thought I'd see here in Colombia. I went to a friend's shop to visit him, and when I came out, There it was, in all it's glory. A Dodge Colt, same as a Plymouth Cricket. I don't know what year it was from, but it had rectangular head lights. Someone was taking very good care of it, because it looked pristine. It was a little light blue four door. I never thought I'd see a Rootes vehicle here, but there it was. Maybe someone of you guys can tell me what year it was from, just by the rectangular head lights.

It is a nice thing to get a nice surprise once in a while.

Jose

Is it RWD?

I know that Chrysler badge engineering ran rampant around that time frame and that the colt and cricket are totally different vehicles, one designed as fwd and the other rwd.

The later fastback alpine had much more in common with the "rootes" cricket design as IIRC that used essentially the same floor plan much like the husky and early alpine.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is it RWD?

I know that Chrysler badge engineering ran rampant around that time frame and that the colt and cricket are totally different vehicles, one designed as fwd and the other rwd.

The later fastback alpine had much more in common with the "rootes" cricket design as IIRC that used essentially the same floor plan much like the husky and early alpine.

After '73 the U.S. Colt and Cricket were rebadged mitsubishi's

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought a new Plymouth Champ back in the day... with 'Twin Stick' transmission (hi/lo range)... I loved that little bugger. Only issue was that they ate fuel pumps about every 30K miles, but otherwise they were a good little car. Very quick, and handled nicely too. The Champ was the Plymouth version of the Dodge Colt, and both were made by Mitsubishi.

Champs are thin on the ground these days though - I can't even think of the last time I saw one. Mine was red, but you get the idea...

champ.jpg

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The car I saw, had to be rear wheel drive. It looked like it was a 1968-1970 model. I wish I had seen the owner, to ask him about it and look under the hood. I looked around, but didn't see anyone. Too bad.

Anyway, it brought back a lot of memories.

Jose

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought a new Plymouth Champ back in the day... with 'Twin Stick' transmission (hi/lo range)... I loved that little bugger. Only issue was that they ate fuel pumps about every 30K miles, but otherwise they were a good little car. Very quick, and handled nicely too. The Champ was the Plymouth version of the Dodge Colt, and both were made by Mitsubishi.

Champs are thin on the ground these days though - I can't even think of the last time I saw one. Mine was red, but you get the idea...

champ.jpg

I bought a Tredia by Mitsu which is the slightly larger version of your car. Had the twin stick. Great car but the carb pollution blah blah valve constantly stuck and made the car run very jerky. Got sick of dealing with it and sold it. Fun car and great driver though.