• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

best of both worlds?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
That is one of the worst Sunbeam bodges I have ever seen! But what a crowd pleaser that would be all fixed up and taken to a show.....Eric

britbeam

Donation Time
As they say"Just when you think youve seen it all". I thought that dual steering wheel was wild but these two guys need to get togetheer too make the ultimate mess of a Alpine.
Dwain

65beam

Donation Time
mixture

it would be pretty wild to do the right side with late series lights,etc. the left side with early fixtures. eric, do you remember the alpine at the indy united that had the 59 cadillac rear fins? that was the wildest alpine i've ever seen carl christianson's series 3 race car has late series rear fenders on it .

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Wood dash it looks like. GT model?

Don't see a bonnet.

The car is in surburban Atlanta.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

I dont think its a GT despite appearing to have a wood dash (we probably have more cars with wood dashes than not these days) A GT would have the metal supports for the rear seat squab and this does not have those.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Call it a Series 3 1/2 ! Reminds me of the Douglas DC-2 1/2 in WWII.

When I was in Hong Kong in 1961, when Britain still had bases there, I met a guy who had worked for Douglas Aircraft in the late 30s and early 40s who told me an amazing story. A Douglas DC-3 belonging to the China national airline was operating on a flight from H.K. to Nanking when the captain, an American called Woods, was warned that Japanese fighters were patrolling the route, so he landed at a small airfield called Suifu.

The passengers, including two Americans, and crew just had time to scarper for the hills when the Japs came over and dropped bombs, one of which took off most of the starboard wing:
DC252.jpg

No matter. With typical Yankee ingenuity, they found a DC-2 in H.K., removed its wing, strapped it underneath another DC-3 (NO, REALLY!), flew it to Suifu, removed the busted wing and, in a scene that must have resembled the original Flight of the Phoenix movie, bolted on the one from the DC-2, connected up the cables etc. and Bingo, a DC-2 1/2. All it needed was Jimmy Stewart as pilot Woods, Richard Attenbrough as navigator, Hardy Kruger as the German model plane designer - "Ze only sing remarkable about you iss your stupidity!"

OK, except the DC-2 was a smaller plane, and the wing is five feet shorter than the DC-3's.
DC25.jpg

However, the pilot, Hal Sweet, managed to fly this cripple back to Hong Kong.

Rick: Sounds just like something you would be involved in!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Nick,

Once again you have ventured into the Sunbeam threads on the board and are posting the crap you should be posting in the general chit chat section. Hey Cpt Segue, why don’t you just start a new thread instead of trying to do your usual railroad.. are there no aircraft message boards, or have they all kicked you off them for talking about cars?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I didn't think Nick's story was too off topic in view of the strange car. And I found it interesting . But I liked Tony's reply that the car was like the Johnny Cash '52,53,54,55, Cadillac from his song "one piece at a time".

Tom H

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
No it was very reasonable price for the spares.. the problem is hauling the whole car home which limits the number of people interested. Sure, piece by piece it is a lot more valuable. It just depends on the situation.

That Scottish car we ended up with wasn't much more $$. However, It cost a fortune to get it shipped to the US but it really did have the factory Aluminum panels. Not to mention a pallet of parts. Great Spares. We just felt the Aluminum panels were worth the shipping cost which most people didnt'

Steve

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom Wiencek wrote a great article years ago about how he comes up with the prices he charges for a particular part. He went into great detail about the long drive to get to the car, hacking away the bushes growing over the car, hooking up the car to a tow vehicle and yanking it out of the mud (all in sub-zero weather mind you), towing it home, and finally parting it out and storing it on his property. The moral of the story is don't gripe because he charges $10 for the part you want - you weren't there to help him get it and probably don't realize everything he had to do to get it to you.

It was just a good reminder of all the trouble some of us go to in order to get those used parts on to our projects. Wonder if someone can find a link or a copy of this article?

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have to agree with Scott here. I see cars in Texas which I consider parts cars. After paying the asking price plus the cost of getting the car home it is often not worthwhile. I find that after spending my time parting out the car I would possibly be lucky to get my money back.