• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Best alternator for a 1725

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've been using the Hitachi 14231. Very easy to hook up and will make the ignition light
work too, and they're very affordable ( read cheap!) too!

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I 'm using a 14597 You will need to modify the bracket so the pulleys will line up. Alt bracket needs to move about .5 inch forward.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
What are the weaknesses of the original Lucas alternator? I have a rebuilt stock Lucas alternator in my series V. It's been in there for about 34 years now. It is getting the job done from what I can tell. Do they not last very long? Or the external regulator tends to fail? Or something else? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I think the original idea of using the 14231 ( or similar ) alternator was for replacing the generator in early series Alpines, as noted in Tom Wiencek's article. I don't remember if I read of someone else replacing the SV alternator, or if I thought up the idea myself, but when my SV stock alternator quit working I thought it made sense to replace it with a less expensive rebuilt (or new) alternator that I could buy at any local NAPA or other parts place, especially since it would also eliminate the external regulator, relay, and Warning Light Simulator. I think I had also had a problem with the external regulator. So it's not so much that the stock one is bad, but it is a very early design. And the simplicity, price, and wide availability of more modern Alternators makes a lot of sense.