• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Beautiful Day in Georgia

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Would you guys quit GLOATING. Gimme a break, I last drove the Alpine in Oct. and next will be in (maybe) March. Alpines don't function all that well at -40.

I was in Florida a couple of weeks ago and it would have been perfect if the rental car was an Alpine. Had to settle for second best.

Quitcher bitchin, if it ever gets to 115 here, my Alpine will be out, unless I drive the Minx convert instead.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Quitcher bitchin, if it ever gets to 115 here, my Alpine will be out, unless I drive the Minx convert instead.

George,

I don´t think so. If you have ever driven in 90 degree weather in an Alpine, especially a V6 converted Alpine, you surely wouldn´t even think of doing it again. 115 is even hotter than that and I believe you wouold suffer dehydration within 15 minutes, if you weren´t constantly drinking water. The air is so hot that it almost leaves you breathless, not a great feeling.

Jose

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Jose,

115, no. 90-95 yes. No, not a V6.

I've driven Alpines in temperatures varying from -55 to +97. Neither extreme is good (or even bearable) but at the high end you put the top down and drive fast. At the low end... I'll leave it to your imagination.

"I believe you wouold suffer dehydration within 15 minutes, if you weren´t constantly drinking water."

Us Canucks have a secret drink that ain't water, keeps us hydrated.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hillman,

A V6 puts out a lot of heat, and when you combine that with exterrm outside temps, you suffocate. I had to drive with a spray water bottle in the car with me, so I could spray my clothes to keep me cool while driving. I still drove with the top down, but it is just too hot to really be enjoyable.

Jose

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor

George,

I don´t think so. If you have ever driven in 90 degree weather in an Alpine, especially a V6 converted Alpine, you surely wouldn´t even think of doing it again. 115 is even hotter than that and I believe you wouold suffer dehydration within 15 minutes, if you weren´t constantly drinking water. The air is so hot that it almost leaves you breathless, not a great feeling.

Jose

I can't vouch for 115 degrees, but down south 90+ degrees in the shade is normal much of the year. A summer day of 98 degrees with humidity to match but no chance of rain is unremarkable beyond being another great day :) .

And while I can't vouch for moded Alpines, stockers do fine in the 90's except for slow stop 'n go traffic.

I don't think the 40+ year old cooling systems were designed for today's nightmare urban congestion, but that is an easy fix (elec fan) for those who commute daily in an Alpine.

Another fix is to park at the bus/subway stop and avoid commuter traffic, saving the 'beams and fuel for open road driving :) .

As regards dehydration, driving a top-down Alpine isn't that different from sitting out in the weather. If too hot, try wearing a cap and taking some water to drink :) .

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah summer is just flat out hot here in the south. My V6 does fine in the heat have never boiled it over but you do want to be careful not to lay your arm over the top of the door, least wise in my black car, because it will fry you

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
When I drive with the top down, i.e. to the Invasion in Tipp City and back to Georgia I ware a long sleeve shirt and a hat, with the steering wheel in one hand and a spray bottle of sun screen in the other. And as always a cooler next to me full of bottles of water to drink. Works for me!

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Here in Dallas we go from good Alpine weather to bad Alpine Weather. Saturday, I worked on my Alpine in the freezing cold and went out for a test drive only to run out of fuel and have the starter fail at the same time. It is no fun waiting for an hour for AAA to arrive. :(

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The problem with driving the Alpine in that kind of heat, you sweat like a theif at confession.:D I know that 90 degrees with 98% humidity can feel like 114 degrees, but the reality is that 24 degrees is quite a big difference. The hot air passing over you, evaporates the sweat and you definitely need to hydrate yourself, or you can have a problem, especially if you are out in it for a long time. The little V6 makes a lot of heat and it can transfer into the cabin, so you can have your legs in pretty hor air and then the outside temp will just finish you off. I got to drive my Alpines every day, just that I tried to pick the best times to do so.

Jose:)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I got to drive my Alpines every day, just that I tried to pick the best times to do so.Jose:)

Pardon the expression but.... No way Jose... Summer is for working on the Alpines.... I'd love to drive mine daily but (frankly) that would make my Dodge the occasional treat to be savored... Now that gives me a world class case of the willys....eeuuusch! Now, I do go out to the Alpine garage almost daily. To clean up from the weekend or plan the next weekend's work... Does that count?

Spend a good portion of Sunday moving the main garage around and inventoring my accumulated Alpine and V6 stockpile and arranging it so it's more accessable... I figure by May I'll be up to my neck in Series6 v2.0. Hope it have it completed (sans paint and ready for a 3 month shakedown) by March 2010 for the Brit show down here. I think it would be fun to take an unpainted firebreather to a show with all the sparkling LBC's... Hopefully I'll tear it back down to nuts and bolts for paint and final assembly.

Maybe... Don't hold your breath...

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
hot cars

In 1976 I took my new bride and her poodle, Peppi, to Ocean City , Md. from Chapel Hill, NC, via the Eastern Shore. We were in my 65 Tiger which had a 302 and c4 auto in it. Hard top and no soft top.
I thought things were going along pretty good until the wife said the dog was having "heat problems", which was code for her problems w/ the heat. We made many stops along the way to "hose down the dog", which we actually did several times, as well as ourselves. Coming back was just as bad, if not worse, because we knew full well what we faced. I kept the Tiger for about 4 more years as my daily driver before reluctantly selling it to replace my wife's stolen
wedding rings,etc.
Not surprisingly, she never again rode in the car after our trip back home.
I will tell you , an automatic trans can generate a lot of heat in the cockpit. You can't have too much insulation.
Does anyone have any info on such a Tiger? It was BR green w/ black interior.
Front valence was missing.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Well I did get out for a Sunday drive...the to do list will still be around till I get 'round to it..
Don't know how many Alpiners are snowed in but I drove a mile for 127 of ya, weather wasn't that great but........... it wasn't that bad...........
Tom j

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Haven't driven an Alpine in the heat yet, it's still in boxes. But I was driving the MGB back and forth to work, 35 miles each way. Mornings were ok, but in the afternoon with the Florida humidity and sun beating down on you, it is completely different. After getting caught in the sun at a few stop lights and stop sighs and not able to find any shade to stop under, I just started leaving the top up and dropping the rear window. Had to be peeled from the seat when I got home.

mikephillips

Donation Time
You want a warm drive. 25 years ago drove mine on I10 through Arizona and southern California, during the day in July. Pegged the temp gauge going throught the desert west of Needles but never boiled it over. felt like driving in an oven.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you

You want a warm drive. 25 years ago drove mine on I10 through Arizona and southern California, during the day in July. Pegged the temp gauge going throught the desert west of Needles but never boiled it over. felt like driving in an oven.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I rest my case.

lgurley

Donation Time
Rob,
I always wondered why some of the members don't fill in their location on their profile. Now I know. It is because you don't want us lucky ones to know you are frozen in for the winter.
And now I am sitting here watching the weather reports of an ice storm warning for tomorrow morning. Oh well, I enjoyed it while I could.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Thread sounds interesting! Although I only got to drive my SV 300 miles after the resto before the horse thing, I did take the time to insulate the entire firewall and inside the doors with FatMat thermal sound deadening material. It really seemed to make a difference with the perceived density of the car and noise. Dont know about the insulating value yet because its been colder than bajesus here in CA.
Heres a couple of pics on the insulation.

Oh well the browse command for attachments isnt working. Sorry!

Jim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The little V6 makes a lot of heat and it can transfer into the cabin, so you can have your legs in pretty hot air and then the outside temp will just finish you off.

Not to hijack this thread, but Jose: does putting side vents on the car draw engine heat out and help keep it out of the cabin? Summer gets pretty hot and humid here in St. Louis, too!

And, just to stay in the spirit of the original thread, winter also gets pretty cold! It is currently about 20 degrees and we got about 5 inches of snow and sleet over the past two days. It's still snowing. Even with two space heaters going, I can only work in the garage for brief periods of time. I am thinking of insulating it this spring.